Harvard Will Not Prosecute Former Currier Treasurer

Harvard does not intend to prosecute Natalie J. Szekeres '97, the former treasurer of the Currier House Committee who earlier this year was charged with embezzling $7,550 from that organization, according to University Attorney Anne Taylor.

The Middlesex County District Court issued a warrant for Szekeres' arrest for failing to appear at her March 29 arraignment, said Sgt. Kathleen Stanford of the Harvard University Police Department.

Taylor said the University decided not to press charges against Szekeres after her family returned the $12,000 that had been missing from the Currier House Committee accounts since last fall.

"Her family has made full restitution and the University has informed the District Attorney that we do not wish to prosecute," Taylor said.

According to Taylor, the University did not intend for a warrant to be issued after the restitution was made, but the court is required to issue a warrant when the defendant does not appear for arraignment.

"The restitution does not eliminate the incident and the crimes alleged," Stanford said.

By law, the police can now find Szekeres and arrest her, but that is not likely to happen, according to Stanford. Instead, she said, Szekeres or her attorney can arrange to appear before the court and resolve the warrant.

"[The restitution] will work favorably for her I'm sure," Stanford said.

It is unclear whether the College's Administrative Board still plans to discipline Szekeres.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said he could not comment and Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 could not be reached last night.

Szekeres is taking the year off from Harvard and living in Landover, MD.