1,500 Turn Out for SpringFest '96

Despite intermittent rain, more than 1,500 students came to the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) Quad on Saturday afternoon to listen to bands, win prizes and eat cotton candy as part of SpringFest '96.

SpringFest, which was sponsored by the Undergraduate Council and free to all undergraduates, featured 12 bands, including the main musical attraction--Pharcyde.

"[SpringFest] is a lot more than I expected," said Coy E. Ross '99. "They've got a lot of fun stuff. I'm just really excited to see Pharcyde."

There was some concern about whether Pharcyde would arrive on time, but the group finally performed after being delayed for approximately one hour.

While the crowd waited, Master of Ceremonies Mark A. Price '98 and council President Robert M. Hyman '98-'97 stalled for time by challenging each other to rap and dance. Many students seemed amused by Hyman's dancing abilities.

"SpringFest was a lot of fun. Hyman made a fool of himself though," W. Glen Warner '99 said. "It was kind of funny."

But others said Hyman had no reason to be embarrassed.

"I thought Rob Hyman was pretty cool," Ross said.

Hyman and Price also joked with the crowd, alluding to the recent randomization debate. Price composed his own rap with the lines: "If I'm paying, I should decide where I'm staying."

Organizers said they were pleased with the event, which is in its third year.

"I think [SpringFest '96] is wonderful," Price said. "The only problem I see is that it's raining. We have a lot of great talent from the school coming out. Events like this give us the opportunity to showcase the abilities of students."

Those monitoring attendance said a few alumni had to be turned away.

Philip R. Kaufman '98, co-chair of the Campus Life Committee which organized SpringFest, said he was excited about the event's reception.

"At the end of the year we like to have a big event like this one with everyone outside," Kaufman said. "It's a really great opportunity to bring the campus together and for the bands to play."

Kaufman estimated this year's budget for SpringFest '96 at approximately $14,500.

In addition to the bands, many games were set up, including a velcro obstacle course, Sea of Balls and Moon Bounce.

The dining halls of several houses, including Kirkland and Eliot, were closed so the dining hall staff could set up a barbecue lunch for the event, forcing some students to brave the rain for their lunches.

Kaufman stressed that the high attendance at SpringFest '96, despite the inclement weather, spoke volumes about the need for more campus activities involving all Harvard undergraduates.

"This is definitely what Harvard needs more of--campus bonding," Kaufman said. "Look at [how many] people come out on a rainy day during reading period when they probably have a lot of work to do.