Goldstein '18-'19 Will Lead Parade

By Anne L. Brody

Even at the grand old age of 101, Joseph Goldstein '18-'19 is still ebullient enough to turn out for the commencement of his alma mater.

Planning to "smile a continuous smile," Goldstein will lead this afternoon's alumni parade through Harvard Yard in his wheelchair.

Goldstein received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1919, when he returned from two years of service in France after World War I.

Even though it has been many decades since he was active at Harvard, Goldstein fondly remembers his college days.

On the phone with The Crimson, he sang a remarkably well-tuned version of "Fair Harvard."

He realized at the end of the rendition that the version he had sung did not include the gender neutral lyrics instituted after Harvard and Radcliffe's merger in 1971.

Apologizing for any wrong notes, Goldstein said, "My pitch pipe wasn't available quickly, but I've got one."

Goldstein not only remembered the College song, but the football games at which it was sung.

"I lost my hat once when Charlie Brinkley, a place kicker, won the game for us. We had a dance down on the field and threw our hats over the goal post," he said.

Because he lived at home, Goldstein had to buy a new hat to take the surface transit back.

"I didn't think I'd remember that," he added.

After his graduation from Harvard, Goldstein was offered a job in Caracas with Standard Oil. The "little girl following me" --his future wife--helped him decide to join his father in the shoe business at home.

Goldstein retired from the business just 10 years ago.

Goldstein's agreement to head up the parade of successful alumni has garnered notice from the national media.

The Boston Herald, The Today Show, Channel 7 and the Jewish Advocate are among those that have interviewed him.

Goldstein even attracted the attention of a "talk show in Denver--with a threat that it may be repeated on the Coast."

When asked what the ceremony today will mean to him, the venerable alumnus responded with an anecdote.

"A rabbi said to his disciples, 'Who is rich?'" Goldstein recounted.

The disciples decided they would not agree on an answer to the question until the result was unanimous: "money, family--none was acceptable."

"Finally, the rabbi gave an answer," Goldstein said. "He is rich who is content with the portion that God has preordained for him."