U.C. Bestows Service Award on Veteran Shuttle Driver

* In other action, body approves funding for Houses

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Undergraduate Council presented its first community-service award last night, to Richard Aufiero, known to students as Richie, who has driven the Harvard shuttle buses for more than a decade.

Jobe G. Danganan '99, who presented the award, said that it was an opportunity for the council to laudunsung members of the Harvard community.

"[We will] express our deep gratitude to those...who take that extra step to make our hectic lives a little better," Danganan said.

Aufiero has served above and beyond the call of duty, Danganan said. He is known to eat in the dining halls with students and come in after blizzards to drive students to the Yard.

In nominating Aufiero, one student wrote that he picked her up and drove her to the Quad even though his shift had ended and he was on his way to the garage.

Mark A. Price '98, council vice-president and a resident of Cabot House, said Aufiero's thoughtful service has had a profound impact on Price's years at Harvard.

"Living in the Quad, I don't know what I would do without the shuttle bus driver Richie," Price said in his opening remarks.

In other business, the council passed a resolution giving a $500 grant to each House committee and a $2,000 grant to the First-Year Caucus.

The resolution passed after a lengthy debate on an amendment that strike a clause requiring the House committees and Caucus to present their reimbursement requests to the Campus Life Committee (CLC). The CLC would have been able to disapprove the reimbursement with a two-thirds vote.

The amendment passed, so the final legislation merely requires the House committees and Caucus to present the treasurer and CLC with a report of their spending.

These requirements, identical to last year's, have not resulted in reports to the CLC in the past. Council members said the previous lack of reports shows the need for more communication between the council and House committees.

Beth A. Stewart '00, council treasurer, said that reimbursements have been given to House committees for thousands of dollars worth of beer, coffee, a fax machine for student use and exercise equipment.

The council also voted to co-sponsor "Parade of the Stars." The council will lend its name in support of the program, which is intended to promote excellence in extracurricular activities.