Harvard Grads Are Ten Percent Of Forbes 400

Wealthy Harvard affliates include Gates, Hearsts

By Nanaho Sawano, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Ten percent of the 400 richest people in America are Harvard-affiliated, according to a report published in the upcoming Oct. 13 issue of Forbes magazine.

The backgrounds and sources of wealth for these approximately 40 people, however, are remarkably diverse, including both inherited and self-made wealth.

The Harvard-affiliated wealthy include members of historic families such as the Hearsts, the Phipps, the Pulitzers and the Rockefellers.

On the other hand, they also include self-made giants such as William Gates, who at age 41, easily won the slot as the wealthiest individual in America and the world with, a fortune worth $39.8 billion.

Of the Harvard affiliates on the Forbes 400 list, 16 have self made fortunes. Eighteen inherited their wealth and eight of those expanded their inheritance significantly.

The sources of their wealth are equally varied-including software, finance, investments, media and entertainment, beverages, and apparel.

Of the Harvard affiliates, two made their wealth in the software industry, seven in finance, nine in media entertainment, three in manufacturing five in investments, two in apparel, two in service, one in oil and gas and one in insurance.

And, many of the Forbes 400 have unusual success stories.

Leaving Harvard after his sophomore year in college to pursue his interests in computers, Gates would later rise to the top of that industry.

Bruce Kovner '66 never finished his senior thesis in physics, drove a cab and studied the harpsichord at Julliard. Today he has a net worth of $650 million, acquired through a career in finance, and he ranks 290th on the list.

Kovner is also the current chair of the New York City foundation to move public school kids to private schools.

The "Harvard 40" range in age from 31-year old Robert D. Ziff '88 (net worth $1.2 billion) to 80-year old John E. Anderson (net worth $625 million).

Although the Forbes 400 span the age and experience spectrum, only two women can be included as Harvard-affiliated members of the list.

Abigail Johnson of Fidelity Investments expanded her father's fortune. Emily Rauh Phipps inherited her wealth