Rice Krispie Treats: The Key to Victory?

RTD2

By Richard B. Tenorio

Tugging an equipment bag across the grass of Cumnock Field, freshman Kathryn Nagle nevertheless found time to savor a Rice Krispie treat after the Harvard field hockey team's 2-1 win over B.U. yesterday.

The tasty treats, which the team enjoyed along with the victory, reveal a secret twist to the Crimson success. Harvard's Rice Krispies were one of many lucky charms.

Last year, the Crimson trekked to the Terrier turf in the rain and lost, 7-1. Yesterday, Harvard (3-4, 1-1 Ivy) held B.U. to a first-half donut (or Cheerio?) and took a 1-0 lead into the half.

Harvard could see clearly now. The rain was gone, and so were all obstacles in its way. Only the usual New England chill stalked the game.

Strangely enough, yesterday was the first on which the team distributed Rice Krispie treats.

"They're brand new," said freshman Jenny Crusius. "Rice Krispie treats are awesome."

The Cumnock grass also aided the Crimson. Might we suggest the presence of "green clovers" as another secret weapon?

However, Crusius said that "we don't like to rely on superstition or tradition too much."

More prominent artillery swept aside the Terriers. Senior Amy DiMarzio, a co-captain, scored both Crimson goals.

"Amy capitalized on scoring opportunities," said B.U. coach Sally Starr. "It's what you want forwards to do."

Meanwhile, sophomore goalie Anya Cowan turned back some key shots.

"At the end of the first half, we had some good shots on her," Starr said.

However, the Terriers did not score until 14:53 in the second half.

"We really wanted this one," DiMarzio said. "It feels real good. We came to the ball a lot better, and we were more explosive."

Having snapped its two-game losing streak, Harvard hopes to ride its momentum to another krisp win against Penn on Saturday.

"Team morale is definitely up big-time," Crusius said. "I think the most important thing about [yesterday's game] was the level of intensity. We all came ready to play."

And if the Crimson deepens its bag of trix for the Penn game, more treats will undoubtedly follow.