U.C. Committee Picks Reps. for Ivy Council

* Four first-years will represent Harvard at two conferences

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Student Affairs Committee (SAC) of the Undergraduate Council last night elected representatives to the Ivy League Council.

Alison F. Egan '01, Alexis Karteron '01, Marc Stad '01 and C.E. Ted Wright '01 will attend two conferences held in November at Columbia University and April at Cornell University.

The council was to elect three Ivy League Council representatives, but because of a miscount of the original vote, Egan and Karteron will be sharing the third spot.

Karteron was found to have won more votes than Egan after a recount.

Each will attend one meeting and serve as an alternate for the other. However, if the compromise is contested by any council member, there will have to be another election because the compromise situation is technically unconstitutional, said Noah R. Freeman '98, the vice-chair of the SAC.

While schools normally send the highest-ranking officials in their student governments, Adam S. Vaina '98--the head Harvard delegate to the Ivy Council--said any Harvard student can run for the post.

Though Wright is not a member of the council, he is the intercollegiate liaison on the Student Cabinet of Lamelle D. Rawlins '99, the council president.

Egan, Karteron and Stad are all members of the Undergraduate Council.

The Ivy League Council is a forum for students to share updates on their own student governments, make connections with other students, and vote on recommendations and resolutions on behalf of member schools.

Last year, Harvard considered withdrawing from the Ivy League Council because students here thought it was disorganized and did not agree with the Ivy Council's recommendations, according to Vaina.

In response to Harvard's complaints a constitutional convention was held from Oct. 3 to Oct. 5 at Columbia to draft a new constitution, which the Ivy Council will vote on at its November meeting. Vaina attended this meeting along with Chuck A. Truesdell '99.

Under the proposed constitution, each school will vote by delegation and have veto power over legislation.

The Ivy Council will "serve as more of a service" to member schools, Vaina said.

In other business, SAC passed a resolution to petition the College for permission to mail-drop copies of an explanation of the University's alcohol policy, once it has been announced.