Gay Students of Color Form New Group

* SPECTRUM to hold art exhibit, show films

By Elizabeth S. Zuckerman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

SPECTRUM, a new undergraduate organization for gay, lesbian and bisexual students of color, held its first meeting in Boylston Hall last night.

The meeting, which drew about 20 students, was designed to introduce them to the group and familiarize them with upcoming events, according to Tyrone Jones '00, one of the four SPECTRUM board members.

Coordinators and participants said they are excited about the new group, which is being promoted as a discussion and advocacy group for "queer people of color."

"I know there are a lot of faces I don't see here. And I'll be calling them," Jones quipped.

Organizers said SPECTRUM fills a niche not covered by already established ethnic groups such as the Black Students Association (BSA) and organizations such as the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA).

"I don't think they cover the issues of being a double minority--of being gay and being of color," Jones said.

Board member Daniel Stephens '98 said he believes these groups may not be sufficient to meet the needs of bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgendered students of color.

"Sometimes queer students don't feel comfortable in the BSA, and some people of color don't feel served in BGLTSA," he said.

According to Jones, who is also a BGLTSA member, SPECTRUM has joined in a partnership with BGLTSA, GirlSpot and Quest.

Andre K. Sulmers '99, a BGLTSA co-chair who was also involved in organizing SPECTRUM, said the creation of the new group is consistent with the BGLSTA's current outlook.

"What we're trying to do is organize the many gay groups that BGLTSA comprises as autonomous groups," he said. "The gay community is very disparate and diverse."

Sulmers said he believes that the creation of SPECTRUM is not indicative of any fragmentation in the gay community.

"Students are looking for different things. This strengthens the community in a lot of ways," he said.

Jones said he has worked closely with Sulmers on launching the new group and that the BGLTSA has been supportive of his efforts.

"One of the great things about BGLTSA is that it understands what Harvard doesn't--that it's impossible for one organization to represent an entire minority," he said.

SPECTRUM organizers emphasized that multiple minority status is an issue which the group will address.

"One does sometimes feel a need to choose [between minority identities]," Jones said. "You come to recognize the importance of multiplicity and duality."

April L. James, a second-year student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and co-chair of the Lesbian, Bisexual and Gay Graduate Student group who was present at the meeting, said she believes it may be more difficult to be "visible" as a gay person if one is a member of a racial minority.

"When you hear people of color talking about gay people it's as if they are not in their community," she said.

Sulmers said he has also experienced a conflict of identities within the black community although "it's hard to explain why that is."

"There's a disacknowledgment of your own multiplicity," he said.

SPECTRUM will host its first discussion meeting on November 6. On December 1, World AIDS Day, the organization will open an art exhibit titled "The Changing Face of HIV" at the Adams House Squash Courts.

The group is also sponsoring a film series at the end of next month and hopes to organize a conference on race and sexuality in April.

SPECTRUM is advised by Professor of Afro-American Studies and of Philosophy Anthony K. Appiah, Kenan Professor of English Marjorie Garber and Assistant Professor of English and American Literature and Language Ann Pellegrini '86