ANYA COWAN, FIELD HOCKEY

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Goalies. Roy. Schumacher. Richter. Vernon.

Great goalies can allow a team to do great things. Here are four examples of goalies who got hot at the right time and allowed their team to succeed at an extraordinary level.

For the Harvard field hockey team in the past week, sophomore goalkeeper Anya Cowan has found that zone and allowed her teammates to find victory in some tight spots.

In Harvard's 1-0 double overtime victory over Ivy rival Penn Cowan turned away all 11 shots sent her way and allowed the Crimson to garner a win while its offense struggled.

"Anya saved us against Penn," said co-captain Amy DiMarzio. "She had a particularly unbelievable save in overtime, when she went down on the ground, got up and had to clear it herself."

Even when Harvard opponents do score a goal, it is often just that, a goal.

Cowan provided the backbone for a strong Harvard defense in its 2-1 victory over rival BU that may help to erase the 8-1 loss the Crimson and Cowan incurred at the hands of the Terriers last year.

The shutout Saturday was Cowan's amazing fourth in eight games. If Harvard can count on blanking its opponents in one of every two games for the rest of the season, things are looking good.