Lights Go Out on Men's Soccer's Mediocre Season

The Crimson's run comes to a fitting end in 2-2 tie

By Rebecca A. Blaeser, SPECIAL TO THE CRIMSON

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--With only two games left in the season, and with no chance of making the NCAA Tournament, the Harvard men's soccer team had one more chance to make its mark on the Ivy League--to play the role of the spoiler.

Unfortunately, after a season plagued by a series of "almosts" and "could've beens," the Crimson was unable to make its ideal farewell statement.

In front of a hearty crowd of more than 500 fans which included the U.S. men's national coach, however, the Crimson did play a game which epitomized its entire season.

In a hard-fought, gutsy performance, Harvard battled back from a one goal deficit for a 2-2 overtime tie with Brown last night under the lights at Stevenson Field.

"We're been very unlucky this year," said captain Tom McLaughlin. "People have been telling us that our season's over and to come back from a goal down--that just shows real team spirit and character."

After only 13 minutes of play, Brown looked like it would walk over Harvard en route to its 13th Ivy title when junior Mike Rudy outjumped the mass of players in front of the Harvard net and deposited the game's first goal.

But the Crimson would bide its time, however, until there was only 47 seconds left in the half.

At that point sophomore Chinezi Chijioke knocked home a rebound from six yards out off a mid-range shot from McLaughlin giving Harvard the demoralizing equalizer.

"Those last couple of minutes of the period is critical and it gains momentum," said Harvard Coach Steve Locker. "That goal was very huge and we should have had another right after that. If that had happened, it would have just buried them. But we were unlucky. That's just how the game was."

Harvard did nab the next goal, but it didn't come until there was only 6:38 remaining in regulation. It was a second half which was witness to constant back-and-forth action and which came to no fruition until McLaughlin blasted home the go-ahead goal.

And for a short time, the Crimson felt that finally a game would go its way.

But Brown, behind the foot of Rudy, would not allow the upset to happen as it responded two minutes later.

"I thought we had it. I just don't know what happened," McLaughlin said. "We get leads and we don't give them away, we fight, but I don't know what it is. I guess we're unlucky."

Ill fate indeed took over at the 3:22 mark. Rudy, for the second time in the contest, batted home a shot from well inside the 18-yard box. It was a gift which had come from a deflected shot and it was a goal which sent the game into sudden-death overtime.

Throughout the two 15 minute over-times, the levels of fitness were truly tested as hands fell to the knees at every opportunity. But despite the fatigue, both teams managed to flirt with victory.

And with just under eight minutes left in the second overtime period, Brown had thought it had finally gotten its break.

Freshman Marcio snuck through the Crimson defense and just as he was breaking in alone on Harvard goaltender Jordan Dupuis, senior Ricky Le slidetackled Marcio from behind. After a decision which infuriated the Brown bench, the referee signaled a no-call and play resumed.

"That was a penalty kick I think," Locker said. "[The referee] had missed two handballs in a row on Brown in the first half so I think he felt that he would give Harvard a break. He set himself up for something like that to happen."

The Crimson attempted to take advantage of the non-call with 2:45 left in the second overtime period.

Harvard got its best chance when freshman Matt Edwards blistered a shot that clanked off the cross-bar. That blast, as did all 13 overtime shots, missed the mark so after 30 minutes of sudden death overtime, a tie was all that both teams were left with.

"I wasn't sure what kind of effort I would get because there wasn't a lot on the line for us as there was for Brown," Locker said. "But what I saw was indicative of what kind of a team this is. This is a group of guys with a lot of pride and character."

Indeed as the Crimson team wandered off the field, exhausted and beaten, there were no frowns and for the first time after a long season, there were no regrets.

"I was so tired, everyone was, but you would never know watching," McLaughlin said. "Everyone gave it everything they had and I am just real glad to be a part of this team. Even though we didn't win, everyone played their hearts out. This is a great way to go out as far as I am concerned."

And after a season which became more frustrating with each passing game, there was no better way to end its Ivy campaign then the way it did last night at Stevenson Field.