Radcliffe Crew Earns High Finishes in Foot

* Heavy A Boat Takes Second, Top Novices First at Foot Of the Charles Race

By Monica Lamb, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Radcliffe Crew braved icy temperatures on the Charles River Saturday to give a strong showing in the Foot of the Charles.

Radcliffe's heavyweight varsity A boat place second, six seconds behind Northeastern, while the first novice boat finished first in its race.

The Foot of the Charles, whose name plays on the famous Head of the Charles regatta, is a collegiate race which attracts many varsity and novice crews from around the Northeast.

Spectators lined Anderson Bridge and crowded onto the snowy dock at Weld Boathouse to watch the crews finishing the race, which started at the MIT Boathouse and ended at Newell Boathouse.

Radcliffe's varsity rowers cheered on the Novices as they finished their first race on the Charles River.

The Foot of the Charles is the most important race of the fall season for New England's inexperienced novice crews and attracts a huge novice field. Forty-three boats participated in the novice race.

Radcliffe's first novice boat won the novice race. Number two seat Katie Tenney was proud of their performance.

"It was a good way to close the fall season," Tenney said. "All the work we've done all fall really paid off today."

Radcliffe A also performed impressively, finishing in 14:11.2. The boat's coxswain, Diane Marks, pointed out that Radcliffe is gaining on Northeastern.

"We finished 15 seconds behind Northeastern at the Head, but only six seconds behind them today," she said.

"This is the strongest boat I've been in all season," six-seat Katrinka Hrdy said.

Syracuse finished in third place, 23 seconds behind Radcliffe, followed by Boston University (14:36.6) and Radcliffe B (14:39.3).

Radcliffe's lightweight eight entered the same heavyweight varsity race as Radcliffe A and Radcliffe B, for lack of other lightweight eights to compete against.

But in spite of the heavier competition, the lightweights were still in the top half of the field, placing sixth in a field of 13.

Lightweight eight stroke Amy Mecklenburg, also one of Radcliffe Crew's co-captains, was pleased with the team's performance.

"This race was a good end to a fall season of building and solidifying the team," Mecklenburg said. "We left it knowing what we have to do this winter for a fast spring."

Radcliffe's lightweight fours also had a good showing, placing third and fifth in a field of eight.