Keycard Access Proposal Stalls

By Caitlin E. Anderson, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The proposal to extend 24-hour keycard access to a few entryways in each undergraduate House stalled at yesterday's meeting of the Committee on House Life (COHL).

"I was really expecting more from the meeting, but I'm not giving up hope," said Jobe G. Danganan '99, one of the Undergraduate Council members who worked on the proposals.

Last week, many House masters expressed willingness to consider extending access to the Houses, but at yesterday's meeting they emphasized their commitment to having two locked doors between accessible areas and living quarters.

But Danganan said he believes adherence to the two-door policy would mean that many houses would not qualify for extended access.

No official analysis of House architecture has been completed, but Danganan said his informal assessment indicates that only Currier, Leverett and Leverett Towers, Mather, Pforzheimer and Quincy House could extend access and fulfill the two-door policy.

Robert L. Mortimer, director for building services in the office of physical resources, said structural changes to the Houses might be an option.

However, Associate Dean of the College Thomas A. Dingman '67 noted that renovations would be expensive.

But some students question the administration's insistence on two locked doors.

"The two-door policy is crucial if you come from the assumption that Harvard students are the perpetrators of crime and safety concerns--which isn't conclusive," Danganan said.

But HUPD Chief of Police Francis D. "Bud" Riley said at Sunday's council meeting that reported crimes committed by Harvard undergraduates against other students do exist, but there are safety arguments on both sides.

"It cuts both ways. It can be argued that having immediate access to a building when students feel unsafe is valuable," he said.

Specific incidents aside, a comparison of criminal activity in Yard dorms--where first-years have 24-hour universal access--and upper-class Houses shows no definite trends.

The final decision on extended access--which rests with Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68--will be largely determined by the preferences of House masters, Dingman said.

Undergraduates calling for universal access may not know that it already exists in abbreviated form--some entryways have limited campus-wide access.

All undergraduates have access to the main entries of Adams, Cabot, Dunster, Leverett and Leverett Towers, Lowell, Mather and Pforzheimer Houses from noon until 10 p.m.

In addition, Kirkland, Currier and Winthrop Houses have more limited access to non-House residents.

In other COHL business, members ,of the committee commented favorably on proposals, which are not final resolutions, to make the fall move-in policy more flexible.

Lillian J. Epstein '00, who led the task force on move-in policy, said it was going well.

"Our primary concern is to make sure that there is a weekend during the move-in period, that it doesn't interfere with work," for parents bringing their children to school, Acting Housing Officer Mac J. Broderick said