Cheer Squad Grounded For Lack Of Coach

By Jenny E. Heller, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard cheerleaders have been grounded, literally, in the wake of the minor injury of a cheerleader two weeks ago and they will not be allowed to perform stunts that take them into the air or to form pyramids.

John E. Wentzell, associate director of athletics, said the athletic department and the Harvard insurance office have placed these restrictions on the cheerleaders.

The minor injury of Katherine P. Bolton '01 during practice raised many cheerleading safety concerns.

The athletic department might lift the ban on stunts when the cheerleaders find a coach, Wentzell said.

L. Elaine Chestney '98, president of the cheerleading team, said the cheerleaders have not had a coach for the last three years.

All other Ivy League colleges, except Dartmouth, require their cheerleading teams to hire coaches, administrators and cheerleaders. The coaches usually attend every practice, but most hold part-time positions.

"How can you run a practice and do certain stunting without a coach who will teach the cheerleaders," asked Gail Zachary, Cheerleading advisor at the University of Pennsylvania. "A risk factor is involved."

Administrators at Cornell University also cited safety as a reason for employing a coach for the cheerleading team.

"The cheerleaders are required to have coaches for liability and security," said Thomas P. LaFalce Jr., assistant associate director for internal operations in the athletics department.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said he has always been in support of hiring a coach for the cheerleaders.

"In general I feel it is important that we support the team because of the contributions they are making to athletic events," Epps said. "Secondly, there are elements of risk in the routines that they perform, and I'd like to minimize these risks."

Chestney said the team is actively searching for a coach.

We have someone who is a very high possibility," she said.

At the same time, Chestney said she has doubts over the effectiveness of a coach.

"It is technically safer because they'll be there for us...but I don't think a coach will be able to catch someone who is falling," she added. "They will help to deal with the situation."

Chestney said the team was previously allowed to perform any stunts approved by the National Cheerleading Association.

According to Zachary, the University of Pennsylvania imposes certain limits on the type of stunts the cheerleaders are allowed to perform for safety reasons.

Wentzell said Boston University and Duke University prevent their cheerleading teams from performing potentially dangerous jumps and stunts as well.

But Princeton University does not prohibit its cheerleading from performing any stunts or jumps.

"We're nor really limited on the degree of anything that we do," said Kacey A. Guy, a cheerleader at Princeton.

Sufficient funding provides an obstacle to hiring a coach for the Harvard team.

"It's important to have a coach if we can," Wentzell said. "If it's $5,000, that will be trouble. If it's $500, we can explore it."

Epps said the College gave the team $500 to help hire a coach.

Wentzel said his office provides a small amount of funding for the cheerleading team, but they raise most of their funds on their own.

The teams at Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and Brown also use fundraising to gather funds. Most of the teams pay the salaries of their coaches without help from the athletic department.

"We get a minimal amount of funding [from the university], but it's not substantial," said Elizabeth C. Lemond, a student at Brown who was a cheerleader last year.

At all of these universities, cheerleading is considered a club sport and not considered at the same level as varsity athletics