'Cops in Shops' Make 7 Cambridge Arrests

By Courtney A. Coursey, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The next time you try to purchase alcohol, you may be handing your ID to an undercover police officer.

According to Superintendent Harold Murphy of the Cambridge Police Department (CPD), "Cops in Shops"--a program designed to reduce underage drinking--places plain-clothes police officers in and around liquor stores to guard against illegal purchases of alcohol.

"You don't know if that person behind the counter is a police officer," Murphy said.

The Cops in Shops program yielded seven arrests during its first weekend, Cambridge License Commission Executive Officer Richard V. Scali said in a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

"Obviously it was a very successful operation this weekend," Scali said, referring to arrests made on Nov. 21 and 22.

The sting operation was conducted at five package stores each evening from 6 to 11 p.m.

"We got quite a cross-section of people," Scali said.

Among the seven people arrested were two Harvard students, detained Nov. 21 at the L'il Peach located at 1105 Mass. Ave. for transporting alcohol and using false identification.

Also on Nov. 21, a 24-year-old man was arrested on a warrant for assault and battery after being stopped for having purchased alcohol for minors who were waiting in a vehicle.

A 14-year-old and a 15-year-old were arrested Nov. 22 outside of Libby's located at 575 Mass. Ave.

The juveniles were charged with transporting alcohol after being handed two 40-ounce malt liquors purchased for them by a 21-year-old that they had solicited to purchase for them.

The 21-year-old was also arrested.

Michael J. Young, owner of Mall Discount Liquors, located at the Fresh Pond Shopping Center, agreed that the Cops in Shops program has been successful.

"It's sending a positive message to all the underage drinkers," he said.

Young said the program is "giving [underage drinkers] reasons to think about making a purchase."

Murphy said the department "will continue this operation until such time as we are satisfied that youth are no longer provided with illegal alcohol procurement and adults [who supply underage drinkers with alcohol] are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Murphy said he believed the program's targeting of underage drinking will succeed where similar efforts have failed, because the program is based on a partnership between police, package stores and manufactures.

In the past, the relationship between police and package stores has been an adversarial one, Murphy said.

Package stores that participate in the program do so on a voluntary basis, Scali said.

Currently 32 liquor stores in Cambridge and 14 in Watertown are involved in the program, Scali said.

Massachusetts State Senator Warren E. Tolman (D-Watertown), who also spoke at the news conference, said that the Cops in Shops program is being piloted in Cambridge and Watertown and may be developed across the state "to go at the very root of this problem" of underage drinking.

Nuts and Bolts

More details as to how the Cops in Shops program works were also revealed at Wednesday's press conference.

According to Murphy, undercover police officers may pose as liquor store clerks, shelf stockers or customers.

Murphy said undercover officers are also located outside of liquor stores or in nearby locations and are "alerted to suspicious activity.

The officers stationed outside of the store are also watching to see if people are buying alcohol for minors.

The undercover officers involved in the program are regular patrol officers.

The Cambridge License Commission uses a lottery system to determine which liquor stores will be targeted, Murphy said.

The License Commission then provides the CPD with a sealed envelope containing the name of the establishment to be targeted

The 21-year-old was also arrested.

Nuts and Bolts