Harvard Missing Blood-Giving Spirit

By David S. Stolzar, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In a season of giving, many didn't.

At a time of year when the need for blood is greatest, organizers said last week's Red Cross blood drive in Boylston Hall had disappointing returns.

And now the Red Cross is looking for a new location for drives as Boylston Hall prepares for renovations.

"We had hoped for 650 units for the week," said Avery E. Rockwell, a Red Cross donor recruitment representative.

The Red Cross did not reach its goal--which was based on demand from regional hospitals--and only obtained 551 units.

Rachel N. Bello '98, one of the drive's student directors, suggested several reasons for the dearth of donors. She cited sickness due to the cold weather, the large amount of work due before winter break and the last-minute parties crammed in before the break as possible reasons.

"Nobody wants to donate hung over," she said.

But Rockwell added that the poor showing comes at a particularly bad time.

"We're at critically low levels for O negative blood. We're down to about one day's supply," she said.

Sandwiched between two holidays, the December drive had problems last year as well, she said.

"Last year we did do it a week earlier, but...people were just coming back from Thanksgiving break," Bello said. "We only had a few days before Thanksgiving to put up posters."

Tad C. LeBlond '98, another student director, said that little changed from last year's December drive.

"We poster all over the Yard and the streets to the Houses, and we table at every dining hall," he said.

Rockwell commended the efforts of student volunteers for publicizing and recruiting student donors with so little time.

"[For the] September drive, they had 80 appointments per day. This time, it was only about 30 per day...but they really only had a week to get people to sign up, because of Thanksgiving."

And when the Red Cross returns to Harvard in February, it is still unclear where it will hold the blood drive.

Because Ticknor Lounge in Boylston Hall--the current location--will be going under construction next month, the blood drive must relocate.

"There's not going to be the open space we need [after the construction]," Rockwell said.

As a result, the Red Cross is looking to move to Sanders Theatre in Memorial Hall, Lowell Lecture Hall or possibly a House common room.

"Because the Houses are off the beaten path, moving to one of them could cause a decrease in student donations and an increase in...people coming off the street," Rockwell said.

LeBlond said that the location change will cause them to reconsider their publicity strategy.

"We're looking for new things to do due to the change in location, like possibly finding advertising space [in local publications]," he said.

Nick A. Rodriguez '01, a first-time blood donor, said that the publicity efforts had contributed to his decision to go.

"A couple people I knew told me to go, and there were signs all over the place," he said