W. Hockey Drops Dartmouth

By Grant D. Wiens

Victories have been difficult to come by for the women's hockey team so far this season.

However, watching them play this past weekend, you would not have guessed it for the world.

In a busy yet successful weekend of play, the Crimson won two important games. The team rallied against Dartmouth 5-2 on Saturday, and then came out the next day to defeat Boston College 6-4. These two victories almost doubled their season total, improving their record to 5-15-0 overall.

Senior defender, Christa Calagione had only praise for her teammates.

"Everyone played extremely well. We really came together this weekend," Calagione said.

On Saturday, the team found itself down early. The Big Green stormed out to a quick one goal lead, scoring in the opening minutes of the game.

Remaining unflustered and together, the players fought back, scratching and clawing their way to a 3-1 lead.

Sophomore Melissa Milbert sent a slap-shot from the point past Dartmouth goalie Noralee Raymond minutes later to knot the score at 1-1.

About halfway through the first period, Tammy Shewchuk '00 led a rush up the ice. From the corner she passed to a wide open Claudia Asano '99 in front of the net for an easy deflection to knot the score 2-1.

Minutes later, Shewchuk again raced up the ice. After a couple of nifty moves to free herself from defenders, she blasted a shot that would be the game winner.

Jen Gerometta '99 gave Harvard a 4-2 advantage in the second after a Dartmouth tally. Faking a pass on a two-on-one rush, Gerometta slipped a backhand just past the outreached Raymond.

The Crimson then left the game in the capable hands of junior goaltender Jen Bowdoin. Dartmouth continually kept pressure on Bowdoin, controlling the puck in Harvard's zone and peppering her with shots from all angles. Harvard eventually ended the game outshot 47 to 33, with Bowdoin making 45 saves.

"Jen played great," Calagione extolled. "She had incredible focus and a lot of confidence. She really came through for us."

Her confidence showed no brighter than it did in the third period, when Harvard was twice forced to kill five on three penalties. Even with two extra players, the Big Green could not muster a rally. Harvard's defense was simply too stifling.

"That was where we really upset Dartmouth," said Calagione. "They just couldn't score. It was great to get back at a big rival like Dartmouth."

Inspired by their win on Saturday, the team came out flying against BC. The game was played at a face-paced tempo, with each team moving up and down the ice rapidly. This style, while exciting for the spectators, can result in havoc for the players. In such an open game, players are bound to commit penalties, and Harvard players are no exceptions.

Despite the influx of penalties, Harvard remained in control of the game, thanks in large part to Bowdoin between the pipes and a strong defensive mindset.

In order to win though, a team needs both offense and defense, and Shewchuk provided the scoring on Sunday. Following up her two point game Saturday, she netted four goals against BC.

Shewchuk has definitely been the offensive powerhouse for Harvard all year. With her five goal performance this weekend, she increased her goal total to 38, surpassing the single season record of 34 set by A.J. Mleczko '97, who is currently training with United States National Hockey Team for the 1998 Olympics.

Shewchuk's season point total is just one point shy of the school season record of 51 (shared by Mleczko and Charlotte Joslin '90). With Shewchuk and sophomore standouts Gerometta and Asano, the team is ensured of a strong offense for the next couple of years.

With these two victories this past weekend, the women's hockey team took a needed step in the right direction. With the playoffs around the corner, the team raised its level of play. As Calagione summed up, "[This weekend] was definitely huge. It was our last weekend home games, and we all wanted to win. Our defense was there and we had a punching style of offense. We were hungry, and it showed."