Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Marshall's 50th Anniversary

By Noah Oppenheim

Fifty years after the announcement of the Marshall Plan during a Harvard Commencement address, the University will be the site of a commemorative international symposium.

The two day event celebrating the famous aid program will take place on June 3 and 4 and will be a part of the University's 1997 Commencement festivities.

The symposium will consist of a reception and three panel discussions which will bring together figures from the era and current experts on international development and relations.

Panelists include John Kenneth Galbraith, the Paul M. Warburg professor of Economics, Emeritus, at Harvard; Jeffrey Sachs, director of the Harvard Institute for International Development; and Helmut Schlesinger, former president of the Deutsche Bundesbank. Also invited are two U.S. senators and the president of the World Bank.

Attendance at the reception and the first discussion entitled "Remembering the Marshall Plan" will be by invitation only. All other events, which are scheduled to be held at the Kennedy School of Government's ARCO Forum, will be free and open to the public.

The Marshall Plan Symposium is being organized by Charles S. Maier, the Krupp Foundation professor of European Studies at Harvard and the director of the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies; and Joseph S. Nye, Jr., the Don K. Price professor of Public Policy and dean of the Kennedy School.