Children Go on the Air to Assist Fire Victims

By Richard M. Burnes

Last week's Upton Street fire burned down eight houses, caused more than $1 million in property damages and displaced 16 families from their homes, but in its aftermath the Cambridge community is coming together.

Since a team of firefighters from Cambridge and other area communities put out the blaze on Friday night, students, city councillors and many other Cantabrigians have raised more than $17,000 to aid displaced families.

The campaign got a roaring start on Sunday night when four students who attend the Graham Parks School, located across the street from where the fire took place, hosted a telethon on Cambridge Community Television (CCTV).

While Judd Bornheimer (grade 6), Anthony Mosquera (grade 5) and James R. Normil (grade 6) answered phones, Judd's brother Luke (grade 3) added up the money.

After deciding to hold the telethon on Saturday morning in front of a McDonald's, Judd Bornheimer decided to "call up some people who cared."

The students originally planned to go on air for only half an hour, but due to their extraordinary success several of the programs scheduled to follow them on CCTV donated their air time.

After two and a half hours on the air the kids raised $4,191.

Since the Sunday night telethon, the whole city has rallied behind the victims of the fire not only with compassion, but just as importantly, cash.

Amanda Cotter-Field, Stephanie Izzo, Sophie Myers and Anna Brody, a group of Cambridge first-and second-graders, were able to raise $106 by selling some of their old knick-knacks.

"They were mostly Sophie's old toys," Stephanie said.

Last night both groups of children were honored by the mayor at the Cambridge School Committee's weekly meeting.

Aside from the efforts of Cambridge's youngest citizens, an extraordinary number of other organizations are contributing to the Upton Street Fire Fund.

At Kirkland House, where a member of the dining hall staff lost her home in the blaze, the House Committee has contributed $1,000 of house funds to the employee and plans to collect donations from house residents.

Mary Ann Jarvis, Harvard's associate director of community relations, said yesterday that the University itself also plans to make a contribution. She added that she is currently trying to get student social action groups involved in the campaign to help victims of the fire.

This Saturday evening, a dance will be held at the Graham Park School, with proceeds going to the Upton Street Fire Fund.

Other groups contributing time and money to the effort include various Kendall Square pharmaceutical companies, members of the City Council and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Donations to help the victims of Friday's fire can be sent to: The Upton Street Fire Fund, c/o Cambridgeport Bank, 689 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, Mass. 02139