Hillel Ratifies New Conservative Group

By Alexandra S. Morrison

By an overwhelming majority, the coordinating council of Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel last night ratified the creation of Jews for Conservative Politics, a new affiliated student group.

Out of the approximately 42 coordinating council members, only three voted against the motion.

"I am thrilled it was accepted," ,said Tammy A. Hepps '00, co-founder of Jews for Conservative Politics. "I definitely think there is a need for equal representation of all political beliefs in the Jewish community at Harvard."

According to a mission statement issued by the organization, its goal is to provide a framework for the support of conservative political ideology in a Jewish context.

It will also offer forums for the discussion of current political issues and opportunities to explore the relationship between Judaism and conservatism.

"[Jews for Conservative Politics] will tackle political issues from a Jewish standpoint," said Adam M. Kleinbaum '98, chair of the Hillel coordinating council, and a Crimson editor. "Practically, we will talk about Israeli and American politics and its effect on Jews."

According to Hepps, the group stands in opposition to the majority of viewpoints at Hillel and to the liberalism of the Progressive Jewish Alliance, another affiliated group.

"Equal dialogue will accomplish a lot," she said.

"I think there's been a movement among Jewish youth recently to reconsider the classic liberal Jewish alliance," said Zachary L. Shrier '99, who helped propose the organization.

"Jews for Conservative Politics will hopefully give eloquent voice to the perspective that says the conservative political agenda of today is closer to Jewish values," he added.

According to Hepps, the group's immediate plans include arranging functions such as dinners, bringing in speakers and debating with the Progressive Jewish Alliance.