God Street Wine Chosen to Play At Springfest

By Laura E. Rosenbaum

Unable to satisfy the wishes of a large majority of students, the Undergraduate Council voted last night to have God Street Wine play at Springfest next month.

The council voted to allocate $8,250 to bring the alternative rock band to the April 26 event.

The council bill also urges the administration to match the money the council allocates for a Springfest band in future years.

Polls done by both the Crimson and the council showed that students preferred the Wallflowers and Run DMC to God Street Wine. However, these groups are unavailable on the date of Springfest, council members said. God Street Wine received less than 9 percent of the student vote in the council poll.

The Samples and Redman also out-scored God Street Wine in the polls. According to council member Catherine D. Rucker '99, the council decided not to bring these groups because the Samples are too expensive and Redman has not shown up for three recent college performances.

Several council members opposed bringing God Street Wine, suggesting that the money should be saved to bring a more well-known, more expensive band next year.

"A headlining band isn't going to be the highlight of Springfest, especially a band no one has heard of," said Marco B. Simons '97.

"The point is not to get a band, it's to get people to come to Springfest," said Simons. "We could give everyone $1, and it would cost less, and probably more people would come."

Council members also suggested that several student bands could play instead of an outside group. The council already plans to find one Harvard band to open at Springfest.

"We'd have a great showcase of student talent that's already here for free," said Council Vice-President Mark A. Price '98.

However, according to Rucker, saving money now would not necessarily mean a better band next year.

"Divorce yourself from the idea [that] we're going to have a big-name band next year," Rucker said, citing cost restraints. "It's just not going to happen."

The majority of the council voted to bring God Street Wine this year.

The council also briefly discussed adding "gender identity" to the coun- cil's non-discrimination clause.

One council member changed his vote, giving the amendment the 67 votes it needed to pass.

The council passed a bill last week urging Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard University to add gender identity to their respective non-discrimination policies.

The term gender identity includes "transgendered," transsexual, cross-dressers and hermaphordites.

A group of council members and students will meet with Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 today to discuss the council's recommendation to the administration.

In other business, the council's Dining Services Task Force said it will discuss food services at Harvard in Loker Commons on Wednesday. This meeting is open to all students.

According to task force coordinators, Acting Director of Harvard Dining Services Leonard D. Condenzio is particularly interested in providing late night snacks for students using Crimson Cash either in Loker Commons or in the grills throughout the houses