The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained


Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned


Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands


Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square


107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Police Called in Advocate Fracas

By Richard M. Burnes

Three Harvard Police cars were called to the Advocate on South Street Saturday night to break up a disturbance during a dance taking place at the building.

Three men, who according to party members were in their 30s and were not affiliated with Harvard, attempted to enter the party just before 1 a.m..

Wesley B. Gilchrist '98, co-president of the host organization, Harvard Model Congress (HMC), said he was checking visitors for Harvard IDs.

Gilchrist said the uninvited visitors were very persistent.

"They started talking trash and they just wanted to get in because we weren't letting them in," he said.

After denying the three men access to the party, Gilchrist said he closed the building's front door to avoid a physical confrontation with them.

"They were big guys, I wasn't out there in their face," he said.

When the visitors continued to bang on the door for about fifteen minutes, Gilchrist said he called the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

Most party goers said they were impressed by the HUPD's quick reaction.

Gilchrist said that after only about two minutes, the "whole cavalry" showed up.

When the HUPD arrived on the scene, police officers removed the three men from the premises.

Charles C. Savage '98, publisher of the Advocate, said he was at the scene to ensure that no damage would be done to the building during the party.

Savage said that while rumors of a big rumble spread across campus, there was relatively little physical confrontation.

"There was a little of intimidation pushing and then that was it," Savage said.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.