Loker Survey: Students Want TVs, Fast Food

By Chana R. Schoenberger

Undergraduates want a TV lounge, brand-name fast food, more computer terminals and a pool table in Loker Commons, according to survey results released yesterday.

The survey, mailed to all undergraduates on February 10, received 556 responses, a return rate of about 9 percent.

Kathleen Kouril '82, a consultant hired by Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III this February to "help improve students' satisfaction with Loker," said she was pleased with the number of students who returned the surveys.

"I'm thrilled by the response rate. A typical response is 2 or 3 percent," she said.

On the survey, some students also said they wanted healthier food options and later hours for the eateries. Many said they dislike the two brightly-colored LED displays.

Survey participants said they were most likely to buy food late at night, when Loker's eateries--now operating under scaled-back hours--are currently closed.

Respondents said they liked the pizza, the drinks at the coffee house, the free refills on soda and the Mexican counter at Loker's food service.

Kouril, who is a Crimson editor, noted that survey respondents fairly represented all undergraduate classes, both sexes and the Houses.

"It's very representative," Kouril said. "No one can say that these are the opinions of activists."

According to Kouril's written analysis of the survey results, undergraduates who returned the survey said they thought the student center--which opened in January of 1996--is being used mainly for studying and eating.

"Perceptions of what Loker is for are very different than students want it to be," she said. "The survey shows that they want it to be a social space."

Kouril said the College will now decide which of the students' suggestions to implement.

"I know that the College administrators are taking this really seriously," she said.

Kouril said she plans to meet with the Loker Advisory Committee soon to discuss the survey results.

The committee members include: Epps, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, Dean of Freshman Elizabeth S. Nathans, six student representatives and several other administrators.

According to Kouril, the committee will discuss the feasibility of buying a pool table for Loker and the installation of a security system to allow student groups to use the coffee house area after serving hours.

The Advisory Committee must recommend any changes in Loker to the decision-making Loker Oversight Committee.