National Review Cover Is Insulting

By The CRIMSON Staff

We are saddened that our national political discourse has recently been polluted by despicable racial bigotry. The cover of the March 24 issue of the National Review features the President, First Lady and Vice-President as Asian caricatures replete with buck teeth and slanted eyes. Each caricature wears Asian clothing: a traditional peasant garb, a Mao suit and the attire of a Buddhist monk, respectively.

It is obvious that the intent of the National Review was to express an opinion concerning the fund-raising scandal currently plaguing the Clinton White House and its Asian connections. However, the editors of the magazine do their position a disservice and make no meaningful contribution to the national discussion by resorting to immature, irresponsible and degrading racial attacks.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Association (AAA) is currently circulating a petition demanding a retraction and an apology from the National Review. This petition is undersigned by 16 other minority student groups. The AAA states, "we do not denounce the National Review for its ideological stance, but the means through which that stance was communicated."

We encourage students to help the AAA send this important message to the editors of The National Review. The responsibility for condemning the March 24 cover does not lie solely with minority groups, but with everyone who values the health of our participatory democracy.