TFs Shoulder Harvard's Teaching Burden

By Elizabeth S. Zuckerman

One Harvard admissions officer tells her tour groups the story of a nightmarish teaching fellow (TF) she had in a government class as an undergraduate here.

He sounded as if he were fresh from Europe, but his highly complicated explanations of international relations obscured his meaning at least as much as his broken English.

The TF was Henry A. Kissinger '50.

Each semester, undergraduates attend lectures and participate in sections, absorbing an incredible amount of material. But the question of how that material is best taught continues to occupy the minds of students, Faculty and administrators.

The three groups agree that TFs are an integral part of education at the University, but nearly everyone in the University has the same fear as the admissions officer, that TFs may be brilliant at doing everything but what they were hired for: teaching.

"Given our reliance on TFs as the human face of instructorship for so many students--especially early in their undergraduate careers--TFs play a central role in the teaching of undergraduates," says Marquand Professor of English Lawrence Buell.

In a survey of graduating seniors, students estimated that TFs had been responsible for anywhere from 15 to 40 percent of their undergraduate instruction.

"[The use of TFs] is a fact of life at large universities," says Senior Lecturer and Head Tutor of Chemistry James E. Davis.

Students say they understand the constraints of teaching in a large institution.

"In an ideal world, we would see the professors more often, but given the size of the University, I see why the onus of seeking out contact is put on students rather than Faculty," says Ian M. Carroll '97, a literature concentrator.

A Necessary Evil?

While students generally agree with Davis's assessment and acknowledge that TFs are necessary at the University, they cite a wide variety of experiences with TF instruction.

George A. Marcus '97, a physics concentrator who estimates that 25 percent of his instruction has been conducted by TFs, says his experience has been extremely varied.

Carroll says that while his TFs have also been of varying quality, he has been satisfied overall.

I've had many more very good TFs than bad TFs," he says.

In response to concerns about TF quality the Faculty required in the fall of 1995 that departments have a program for TF training.

"The first concern to surface was related to international TFs--that there were language communication problems in some sections," says Buell who was dean of undergraduate education at the time the mandate was adopted.

The quickly surfaced that the degree of intensity and system in the preparation of all new TFs varied a great deal from area to area," he says.

According to Dean of Undergraduate Education David Pilbeam, variance in the quality of TF teaching are attributable to more than differences in departmental preparation procedures.

"There is likely to be more variance with TFs than with Faculty," he says, explaining that Faculty has an established teaching track record which is a factor in its hiring.

TF Training

The mandate for standardized TF training prompted the expansion of programs at the Bok Center for Teaching and Learning.

According to the Center Director James Wilkinson, "Harvard is a leader in working this intensively with graduate students [to improve their teaching]."

Davis says he believes the Bok Center is an important resource in helping TFs provide the best possible instruction.

"Having [TFs] or not having them is not up for discussion here. It's how we make them as effective as possible," he says.

In Chemistry 5: "Introduction to Principles of Chemistry," which Davis teaches, students fill out a mid-semester evaluation, such as the CUE evaluation, in which they comment on TF performance. He says the evaluations are used to identify and address trouble areas.

"Several years ago, we had a problem--quite a few teaching fellows were doing poorly at the mid-semester evaluation. [But] at the end of the year, we got unusually high CUE ratings," Davis says, noting that some of the TFs who had problems at mid-semester ended up winning teaching awards from the Bok Center.

Like Davis, Computer Science 50: "Introduction to Computer Science I" instructor Margo I. Seltzer, assistant professor of computer science, employs a large team of TFs and says she relies on extensive training and frequent communication to manage the group.

But Seltzer approaches the issue of TF instruction differently.

"TFs do not do any teaching," she says. "They do not present any new material. They review, they provide tips for solving problems--they're like tutors and counselors but they are not doing the teaching," she says.

However, Seltzer says TFs are still of tremendous value.

"It's very clear to me that students are much less threatened by TFs than by me," she says.

TFs express a range of views on their role as teachers. Maria K. Blees '97, a former CS-50 TF, says she sees herself as more of a facilitator than a primary instructor.

But "in Ec 10 most of the primary instruction is done by TFs," says Felix S. Lee, a TF for Social Analysis 10: "Principles of Economics" and a third-year law student.

And Susan E. Spinale, a TF for Fine Arts 15d: "Introduction to Italian Renaissance Painting and Sculpture," says she sees herself as more of a primary instructor because of the opportunity for close contact with students.

Katalin Makkai, who has been a TF in philosophy and has also taught in the Moral Reasoning section of the Core, says she considers TF autonomy to be an important factor to learning.

Makkai cites the trust of professors for TFs as a strength in the structure of courses she has taught.

"I always felt I was given lots of leeway to use my own judgment about how students are doing and what they need," Makkai says.

Because of their proximity to the students, TFs can offer important insights and approaches to course material, says Associate Professor of Economics Andrew Metrick.

"You work as hard as you can to get yourself in the shoes of the students but that gets harder and harder the more you've taught the material," he says.

"At Harvard, you guys are blessed because the graduate students are great," Metrick says.

Peers Teaching Peers

The use of undergraduates as TFs has further complicated the debate over their role in course instruction.

"About five years ago, with some trepidation, I started using a few very good undergrads as TFs," Davis says, noting that he only appoints students he knows to be strong and who are eager to teach.

Wallace Professor of Applied Physics R. Victor Jones, who has used undergraduate TFs for a number of years, says that his experience has been "very positive."

"In the areas where I'm most concerned, undergraduates have a tremendous amount to offer, and we would be hard put to do as good a job without them," he says.

Seltzer says she agrees that undergraduates can be of particular value as TFs.

"They're much closer to the particular kinds of problems that the student is having," she says. "They've taken the actual course that these students are taking."

And students who have been taught by undergraduate TFs say their experiences were excellent.

"As a general rule, undergraduate TFs were better prepared and, if nothing else, more concerned," says George A. Marcus '97, a physics concentrator.

But undergraduate TFs face special obstacles in their teaching.

"As an undergraduate TF you might feel too sympathetic to people because you know what they're going through," says Maria K. Blees '97, who has been a TF for CS-50 and CS-51.

She also says that students feel more comfortable calling undergrad TFs at any hour because it is assumed they are available.

"I think the students like the accessibility [of undergraduate TFs]," Jones says. "If there's any danger at all, it's on the TFs own work because they are accessible a lot for the students."

But administrators see other dangers in using undergraduates as TFs.

Current University policy limits grading of undergraduates by other undergraduates to material that is "objectively right or wrong," according to Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education Jeffrey Wolcowitz.

However, Wolcowitz told The Crimson during the last academic year that "it wouldn't be hard to convince me we should curtail the use of undergraduates."

Desperately Seeking Faculty

Despite generally positive reviews for TFs, many say they cannot fill the gap that exists when Faculty are unavailable.

According to Buell, the role of TFs in teaching is "somewhat more central than what I would personally like to see."

"We need to worry if we are relying on graduate students too much as a prosthesis to buffer ourselves from undergraduates," he says, adding that he would like to see more sections taught by course heads.

"There's a noticeable difference with professors who take the initiative initially to make contact with students," says Joshua S. Hausmann '97, an economics concentrator.

Shoshana R. Dobrow '97 also terms student-Faculty contact inadequate. She recommends making Core classes smaller so students have more close contact with professors, explaining that she has enjoyed her seminar courses the most.

But, she says, "for the most part TFs were good so I don't feel like I lost anything."CrimsonMelissa K. Croaker

TF Training

Peers Teaching Peers

Desperately Seeking Faculty