MAC Gets Windfall From Anonymous Donor

* New StairMasters, Exercise Cycles, Other Equipment Enhance Facility

By Anne C. Krendl, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Long waits for a StairMaster may be at an end at the Malkin Athletic Center(MAC).

Through a donation by an anonymous alumnus, the MAC has purchased and installed 40 new pieces of cardiovascular equipment, including 14 StairMasters, which MAC officials are hoping will bring an end to the sometimes 45-minute, waits users faced in previous years.

The new equipment at the MAC also includes eight treadmills, two ergs and 16 Lifecycles. The MAC now has more than 50 pieces of cardiovascular equipment.

"Clearly this has been needed," said John E. Wentzell, associate director of athletics. "I'm thrilled. I think the students are going to be thrilled."

Wentzell, who declined to provide the exact amount of the donation, said the contribution was given on the condition that the MAC use it to purchase "exercise equipment."

Wentzell said the money was used to buy cardiovascular equipment because other equipment was less worn.

"The nautilus is old, we know that, but it's functional," he said.

Further changes at the MAC include renovating the basketball floor and, starting today, having an intern teach classes and show people how to use the new equipment.

The new equipment currently spans two separate floors-the basement and the top floor, overlooking the newly-renovated basketball court.

But even though the new equipment is in place, it is not all up and running yet.

The treadmills are not functioning yet because a new electrical system has to be installed to accommodate the power requirement for the machines.

"[We] set it up and obviously we wanted it set up for when the kids get back," Wentzell said.

Looking Ahead

Wentzell said the recent changes at the MAC have acted as something of a catalyst for the athletic center so that it is now looking toward further improvements.

"This gracious donation by this gentleman has started us thinking about other ways to improve the building," Wentzell said.

Noting cramped spaces and lack of air conditioning, Wentzell said there are many more changes he would like to see at the MAC.

"It's not ideal, it's not air conditioned," Wentzell said. "We're actively exploring other places in the MAC to create some space so we can get that air conditioned environment."

In addition, because the new equipment is making the MAC more like a "fitness center," Wentzell said that MAC officials are going to "seriously look into" opening the MAC before 9 a.m.

"[Lengthening the hours] is something we're looking at," he said. "Right now we've always seen fit to keep the building closed until 9 [a.m.]...in order to give the janitors time to clean the building from 6 to 9," he added.

To combat other problems at the MAC, Wentzell said the athletic center plans to make October "suggestion month" at the MAC, during which time MAC users will be able to suggest further changes for the facility.

But the changes to the MAC have met with some skepticism because a few users are concerned that, with the new equipment and the opening of the MAC to all Kennedy School students, more people will use the facility.

"I definitely think it's a huge improve ment, I'm just kind of afraid it's going to draw more students," said MAC user Jill E. Nadeau, who works for the athletic department.

Wentzell agreed with this concern, noting that the MAC will most likely still be crowded during "peak hours"-the noon hour and around 5 p.m.

"Part of me is frightened that even if we had 50 [StairMasters] it wouldn't be enough," he said.

But Wentzell said that even if there are more crowds, the wait for a machine will be substantially shorter.

"You shouldn't have to wait too late, even if we do get a crunch time at noon," Wentzell said.

Raleigh Rogers, a desk monitor at the MAC agreed, saying that in his experience he has never seen more than 20 people waiting for the StairMasters.

MAC users have shown an overall enthusiasm for the new equipment.

Jennifer C. Kuhn'01 praised the new bicycles for providing a "more varied workout."

"I think it's great, the bicycles are a lot more comfortable," Kuhn said.

But Tom S. Lee, who works in the Office for the Arts, was more skeptical, saying that the MAC is "not quite there yet."

"I think it'll probably help [reduce the lines] in the long-run," Lee said.CrimsonJohn F. CoyleA STEP UP: MAC users now have the benefit of 14 new StairMasters.