BosTix to Open in Holyoke

By Courtney A. Coursey, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Buying tickets to performances and events in Boston no longer will require a trip on the T.

"BosTix at Harvard," a box office that will sell tickets to campus arts and athletic events as well as events throughout the greater Boston area, is scheduled to open in the Holyoke Center arcade in October.

BosTix, which operates ticket booths at Fanueil Hall and Copley Square, is known for selling tickets at half price plus a nominal surcharge on the day of the performance.

Eric C. Engel, director of the Memorial Hall/Lowell Hall complex, said he would like to see "more people attend Harvard events and Harvard people attend events in Boston."

Fifty percent of the space at the booth will be used to advertise Harvard events, according to Director of the News Office Joe Wrinn.

The BosTix in Holyoke Center will not replace the Harvard Athletic Ticket Office, the Sanders Theater or American Repertory Theater box offices, all of which will remain open, according to Wrinn.

The Harvard Real Estate Office approached BosTix about three years ago regarding building the ticket booth in the Holyoke Arcade.

The Harvard News Office, with help from Harvard Planning and Real Estate and Arts/Boston, provided a "one time" capital investment for the renovation of the Holyoke Center arcade space, Wrinn said.

BosTix is operated by Arts/Boston, a not-for-profit community box office and audience development organization. BosTix booths have sold over 1.3 million tickets since their inception in 1978.