Men's Water Polo Loses Another

Things just aren't getting better for the Harvard men's water polo team. Not only did the Crimson drop its game on Friday to regional opponent UMass 5-13, but it also may have lost junior 2-meter man Mike Zimmerman.

The Crimson's top scorer injured his right thumb in the game against the Minutemen. Although he attempted to play on Saturday night against Boston College. Zimmerman lasted only a few minutes as his thumb was severly swollen. He is expected to undergo tests today, but currently his status remains day-to-day.

"I tried to play on Saturday which was probably a big mistake," Zimmerman said. "I thought that it was ok. I'm not sure what is going to happen. I've never had an injury like this before."

Add to the troubles the fact that Harvard was without juniors Tom Chalberg and Chris Tilghman. Chalberg returned home to California for family obligations while Tilgham also missed the Navy Invitational one week ago. As if that wasn't enough adversity thrown in the direction of the Crimson, it was also forced to play B.C. at MIT in a much smaller pool. As a result, Harvard's speed and quick counter-attack is severly hindered as the weaker team is favored in such a small space.

The MIT pool was also the site of Harvard's most disheartening loss in years. Last Wednesday, the Crimson was defeated by the Engineers--a feat which has not occurred in recent Harvard memory.

In the end, B.C. defeated Harvard 10-7.

This most recent loss comes off the heels of a thus-far frustrating season for the Crimson.

Harvard looks to change its fortunes and avenge Saturday's loss this Thursday night when it battles B.C. at 8 p.m. This time it will all take place at Blodgett Pool-on Harvard's home turf.