Student Activists Fight Change in Central Sq.

By Jenny E. Heller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Never far from the fray, Harvard's Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) joined concerned Cantabrigians protesting developers efforts to make Central Square look more like Harvard Square.

Last night, representatives of PSLM argued against a number of planned retail and residential developments at a meeting of the Central Square Planning Board.

According to an e-mail circulated by PSLM in advance of the meeting, Holmes Realty Trust plans to knock down 20 stores and restaurants in Central Square in order to build "scores of high rent apartments, chain store retail outlets and a mall of sorts."

PSLM urged its members to attend the planning meeting in the e-mail.

"Save Central Square! Speak out at the continuation of the Planning Board meetings," the e-mail read.

"This meeting will decide the future of this demolition project and the heart of Central Square. It's very important that you be there," it continued.

The Central Square Planning Board will make its final decision in February.

Among the businesses that may be affected by the Planning Board's decision are "a wonderful progressive bookstore," an Ethiopian restaurant and a Greek market, the e-mail said.

According to the PSLM, many businesses have already been shut down.

These potential setbacks for small businesses in the area follow a trend of rising rents for Central Square building space which are driving many tenants out of the area.

"Sadly I think it's kind of inevitable," said John Berosh, a store manager at the 1369 Coffee House. "But when it happens in your neighborhood and your personal apartment rent goes up, it's hard."

Large corporations are taking over the neighborhood, forcing out the small businesses that have resided in Central Square for years, he said.

"There goes Central Square," he added.

PSLM's e-mail message also lamented the changing face of Central Square.

"This project will drive up rents even further, increase traffic and fumes and change the nature of this great neighborhood," it said.

Dave Caswell, president of Caswell Company Ltd., which owns Kennedy Studios in Central Square, attributes the higher rental rates to the city's renovation of the area.

Despite what critics such as Berosh may say, Caswell said that the Square needed a new image.

"So much money has been spent in the Square to bring it around," he said. "It was honky tonky. It was an eyesore. It is now more desirable. The city has made an effort."

The changes that Caswell supports, however, have sent Kennedy Studios searching for a new office space.

"The rent is high for the size of our store. We're not doing business to support the rent," Caswell said.

Kennedy Studios hopes to relocate to the end of Mass. Ave. closer to Harvard Square, an area that looks more presentable, Caswell said