Midwest Is America, Too

Letters

To the editors:

We were appalled to find that the Midwest in general, and specifically Illinois, was left out of Ashley F. Waters's article "Adjusting to Cambridge" (Jan. 16). Coming from the Midwest, we find that we are subjected to the unfair stereotypes of "hicks."

Alex, who hails from the Chicago area, wants everyone to know that Chicago is "no freakin' hick town." Will, who comes from Springfield, wants to add that Springfield is the capital of Illinois, and is therefore an important center of commerce and politics. We do not go cow tipping on weekends. We do not wake up at 4 a.m. every morning to slop the hogs.

Perhaps it was a gross oversight to not include the Midwest (and especially Illinois), but we take offense that The Crimson could overlook a state and region that includes the mighty Chicago Bulls, a team that can kick your region's sorry butt.

Oh, and you'll notice that the Super Bowl contained no teams from the Eastern and Pacific time zones. ALEXANDER J. EILHAUER '01   WILLIAM P. BOHLEN '01   Jan. 16, 1998