Earthwatch Draws 500 Scientists to Conference

By Erica Westenberg, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

From Icelandic glacier outbursts to Costa Rican sea turtles, more than 60 international and domestic scientists emphasized taking a global perspective on environmental issues during the Earthwatch Institute's annual Festival of Science and Culture, held Saturday at the Science Center.

More than 500 researchers, teachers, students and members of the public gathered for the event.

"Members of the public from all over the world come to talk about solutions and the kinds of research that we hope will make ours a more sustainable world," said M. Blue Magruder '96, Earthwatch director of public affairs.

Earthwatch is a non-profit organization that depends on volunteers who contribute money to research projects and then work with professional researchers on those projects.

"At Harvard, students do have an opportunity to do research," Magruder said. "So many students don't have access to research, and with Earthwatch you make a contribution and then you follow your money into the field."

Director of the Harvard Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Donald Menzel originated this approach to research in studying the 1973 eclipse of the sun, when he offered potential donors an opportunity to study the eclipse from Africa.

The keynote speaker at this weekend's festival was Tundi Agardy, senior director of marine programs at Conservation International.

Researchers and volunteers presented their goals and findings from past and continuing projects in areas including archaeology, oceanography and health care.

Frank V. Paladino, professor and chair of the department of biology at Indiana Purdue University, said that Earthwatch has been invaluable in his research of Costa Rican sea turtles, which he has studied for the past 20 years.

"What Earthwatch has let me do is keep a crew of students in Costa Rica for five consecutive years," Paladino said.

"Without their money and help I'd never have been able 5to do that. And it's allowed for some really great training of students," he said.

Paladino also said the ability to sustain research over a longer period of time has allowed his team to "work with Costa Ricans and teach them about sea turtles as well.

According to Magruder, the interaction between scientists, students and the public is one of the largest goals of the institute.

"We support research and provide experience and education, and as a by-product hopefully we create a public that will act intelligently as global citizens," she said.

This is the 10th year that the festival has been held in the Science Center. Magruder said that although outside organizations are not usually permitted to host events in the Science Center, officials have made an exception for the festival because of the international research community that it draws.

Harvard students worked with undergraduates from other local schools such as Boston University, Tufts University and Bradford College to publicize the festival, said Laura M. Nelson, an event organizer.

The institute announced that their 1999 grants totaled $3.7 million and will be distributed to 140 projects in 51 countries and 23 states.