Media Spotlight Shines Brighter on KSG

Networks and Politicians Alike Find Prestige and Power From Harvard Podium

By Jacqueline A. Newmyer, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

As a training ground for the nation's future leaders, Harvard's Kennedy School of Government (KSG) seeks to provide its students with the tools to achieve success in public life.

Like it or not, a comprehensive political education these days entails lessons in the art of media manipulation.

While students study the interaction of press and public policy in its classrooms, the Kennedy School itself engages in real-life public relations efforts.

As a venue for political speeches and a center for both domestic and foreign policy research, the institution often generates its own publicity.

Its place in the public eye is now more prominent than it has ever been, at least partly because cable networks and Internet news sources have increased the demand for pundits and commentators.

Just a few months ago, MSNBC hosted a live town meeting on the Clinton scandal from the Kennedy School's ARCO Forum of Public Policy.

Weeks later, the Institute of Politics hosted a panel on the Cold War in conjunction with a CNN documentary series.

Throughout this fall's election season, the Kennedy School has focused panel discussions and "Brown Bag Lunch" events on campaign issues. Local candidates have made their presence felt, appearing at a variety of KSG gatherings to win support and round up volunteers.

Policy-Making in Action

This fall's guests may have taken their cue from political figures who gained national attention by appearing at the KSG in the past.

Among the leaders who have taken advantage of the Kennedy School soapbox is U.S. Senator Daniel P. Moynihan (D-NY).

Last spring, Moynihan delivered a forum address previewing tenets of a Social Security reform bill he introduced in the legislature two days later.

"The speech was widely publicized, and we got very good exposure," says Michael T. Waterman, a spokesperson for the senator.

In addition to earning Moynihan national headlines, the positive coverage contributed to popular support for his policy ideas, according to Waterman.

"Now a bi-partisan group has formed in support of the principles he outlined in the speech," Waterman says.

Holly T. Sargent, the school's associate dean for external affairs, cites the Moynihan event as a satisfying media experience.

The Forum is a "podium" for "policy-makers and leaders in the community," Sargent says.

"[It allows them] to speak freely and contribute to public debate."

Why the Kennedy School?

Many politicians view the Kennedy School as a perfect forum for promoting their pet causes. For reporters and politicians alike, the forum's academic character and the prestige of the Harvard name suggest meaningful discourse.

"From our perspective the speeches that are done there...get great coverage down here [in Washington]," Waterman says.

Many political figures also genuinely appreciate the opportunity to receive critical feedback from young and informed attendees.

"When you have an audience of students, you're going to have an un-political speech in the sense that it will be about ideas and policy," Waterman says.

Because the Cambridge crowd has a reputation for questioning accepted wisdom, public figures often decide to come to the Kennedy School when they want to re-open or revitalize a national debate.

A Helping Hand

In addition to promoting appearances by prominent speakers, the Kennedy School's publicity officers work to connect faculty and researchers with real-world news outlets.

The staff of the Office of Communications and Public Affairs seeks to spread the word about studies and books produced by professors at the school.

"Media exposure benefits the Kennedy School by alerting policymakers, other scholars, potential students, alumni and the general public about the work our faculty members do and the school's contribution to public policy issues that they might not otherwise know about," Sargent says.

In addition, the staff at the news office helps KSG affiliates deal with the media. Though professors themselves are responsible for scheduling television appearances, they receive expert advice from the in-house press people at the Kennedy School.

"Faculty members often approach the public affairs office with questions regarding press," she adds, "for example, on how to submit op-eds."

Attracting Students

First and foremost, it is the school's reputation that draws senior policy analysts and the nation's most promising future leaders, insist KSG officials.

But in the world of politics, where image is everything, the preservation of this reputation depends on continued visibility in national news outlets and in policy-making circles.

"Media exposure supports...[our] mission," Sargent says.

She stresses that potential students often discover the school through coverage of its events or scholars.

"Media exposure provides an initial introduction for students to learn about [the Kennedy School's] activities and seek further information about how to apply," Sargent says.

While the school does not plan news-worthy events solely for the purpose of generating publicity, it does seek actively to recruit students and believes maintaining institutional visibility is vital to this effort.

The school's prominence is particularly important for recruiting overseas, as the Kennedy School draws many of its degree candidates from other countries.

Students who are not U.S. citizens come to the Kennedy School because it is well-known abroad as well as domestically.

"On an international basis, [the school] looks like a very interesting place," says Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe.

Working With the University

Each professional school at Harvard has its own public relations staff, and the Kennedy School's communications department "operates independently of the main Harvard news office," Sargent says.

But when an event promises to focus a lot of attention on the University, central publicity officials team up with their Kennedy School counterparts to organize coverage.

Huppe explains Harvard's concern for ensuring that big-name forums run smoothly.

"If a speaker comes to Harvard and something bad happens, it affects the entire University," he says. "Peter Jennings will lead off the evening news with, 'At Harvard today....'"

Huppe also emphasizes the administrative coordination between communications officials for the professional and graduate schools and the admissions office.

Representatives from the various departments meet monthly and remain accessible to each other at all times.

"We all carry each other's phone numbers in our pockets," Huppe says.

With its frequent public forums and world-renowned guests, the Kennedy School's staff may merit a speed-dial entry.

"There's a lot of substance and a lot of flash over there," Huppe says. "It's one of the hardest-working public affairs shops at Harvard."

Policy-Making in Action

Why the Kennedy School?

A Helping Hand

Attracting Students

Working With the University

Why the Kennedy School?

A Helping Hand

Attracting Students

Working With the University

A Helping Hand

Attracting Students

Working With the University

Attracting Students

Working With the University

Working With the University