Adams House Masquerade Won't Run With The Crowd

By Adam C. Weiss, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The annual Adams House Masquerade will take place tonight, with organizers working hard today to avoid the Harvard police presence that broke up last year's event.

The Masquerade, house committee officials said, is the highlight of the year in Adams House.

"Anyone will tell you that this is Adams House's big thing," House Committee Co-Chair C. Thomas Brown '99 said. "It's been going on as long as anyone here can remember."

Last year, tradition turned to trauma as the Masquerade ended 45 minutes early due to crowds jamming Plympton Street. Harvard police shut down the event and broke up other parties thrown by House residents during the event.

Fire and police officials arrived after a fire alarm had been pulled to find that the maximum capacity of 350 in the dining room had already been exceeded. An altercation with the DJ ensued and at 12:15 a.m. police evacuated the building.

But no actual fire was discovered, and Brown said the disturbance was an anomaly.

"This is an annual event, and last year was just a freak thing," he said.

House committee officials said they are taking precautions for tonight's event to prevent last year's overcrowding.

"We're putting more attention into controlling who gets into the room" Brown said. "Basically, our goal is not to have an overcrowded room like last year."

Last year's experience may have biased some Adams residents against the event.

"It's fun for a while, until the whole college shows up" said Joan M. Kane '00.

Other students' impressions of the Masquerade were also shaped by last year's over-crowded atmosphere.

"It's simply sweaty and slimy," said Mary E. Kissel '99.

Perceptions of the event may change, however, as new policies are implemented by this year's House Committee.

Adams House Master Robert J. Kiely said he is confident this year's event coordinators will maintain a controlled environment.

"They have taken measures, including extra security guards, to keep it under better control than last year," Kiely said.

Harvard University Police Department spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara said one officer has already been assigned to Adams House tonight to monitor the party.

Cambridge City police also promised to provide assistance.

"If Harvard police needs our assistance, we will be there," said Frank D. Pasquerello, spokesperson for Cambridge Police Department. "We will provide any help that we can give."

Event organizers said they were confident in the success of tonight's Masquerade.

"As always, this event is free and open to all members of the Harvard community, space permitting" Brown said.