Alcohol Incident Ends Harvard Rugby Season

Misbehavior, car accident lead to suspension

By William P. Bohlen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The season has prematurely ended for the Harvard men's rugby team following an alcohol-related incident after a game held exactly one month ago.

On October 24, following a road loss to Norwich University, a rented team van hit a parked car in the parking lot of the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC), according to the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

"As I understand it, a couple of the boys got caught drinking on the way home," said Fred F. Paoli, the men's rugby coach, from his office in Montana.

Officials in the Harvard Department of Athletics are terming the incident "in-house inappropriate behavior" and have canceled the team's remaining two games of the fall season, as well as the entire spring season.

"The official comment is the remainder of the fall and spring season has been suspended," said Associate Director of Athletics John E. Wentzell. "[The rugby team] has not been banned--it has been suspended for this year."

Although University officials declined comment on the nature of the incident, the athletic department clearly states a "no tolerance" policy with regard to alcohol in the bylaws for club sports.

"The use of alcohol at any club event is strictly forbidden and will result in automatic suspension of club activities," states the Club Sports Handbook.

The handbook adds, "[Clubs must] conduct practices and contests in a responsible manner as members of the University community. In cases of irresponsibility by an organization, all privileges and recognition may be withdrawn."

Wentzell acknowledged that action is still pending on the fate of the team for future seasons.

The incident began when one group of players, traveling in a rented van, hit a car in the MAC parking lot before leaving to return the van.

"It was not a criminal hit-and-run," said HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara, noting that the players involved told police they had the intention of writing a note on the windshield of the parked car.

A second van of players pulled in behind the first. A player got out of the second van and urinated in public outside the MAC.

The owner of the parked car, who was not inside at the time, reported the incident to HUPD. A Harvard University official witnessed the entire incident and reported it to the athletic department.

Rugby team members refused comment for this story.

In regard to the incident and the punishment, Paoli admitted he is somewhat in the dark. He said all of his information has been obtained through conversations with his players and that none of it has come from the athletic department.

"Neither Bill Cleary [Athletic Director William J. Cleary '56] nor John Wentzell ever bothered to consult with me regarding this incident," Paoli said.

"They have taken unilateral action withouttalking to me."

Harvard officials refused to say whether theplayers involved are facing individualdisciplinary action.

Paoli said he believes the team punishment isharsh and unfair.

"It was a consensus among myself and the seniorplayers that the punishment should have been givento the [individual] players involved," Paoli said.

"The boys realize that they did somethingwrong," he added.

Paoli said the athletic department has had ahistory of giving the rugby team the short end ofthe stick.

"In the two years I was head coach at Harvard,I never once met Bill Cleary," Paoli said. "Thatshows how much he regards the rugby team."

In addition, facilities and injury care aresub-par, Paoli said.

"They make us play on a piece of dirt," Paolisaid. "It's got rocks all over it. We sufferedthree times the normal amount of injuries."

"The [Harvard] trainer would vilify myathletes. In past years, they sent us a studenttrainer. This year, they even took that away fromus," he said.

As a club sport, the men's rugby team isentitled to "guidance, facility assistance,minimal financial support and an administrativeframework," according to the athletic department'shandbook.

Paoli said he believes the rugby team has beenslighted due to a reputation it, and the sport ingeneral, has built up. The team would typicallydrink together after games and has been known formisbehavior.

Paoli said he cut out the drinking afterHarvard's games when he became coach, optinginstead for barbecues with opposing teams.

"They may have gone back to their rooms and hada few beers, but that was not under mysupervision," he said.

While the future of the men's rugby team isuncertain, Paoli feels the prospects are grim,despite the efforts of the players.

"[The players] are trying to resurrect thespring season, or if not that, the fall season,"Paoli said. "Given the attitude of the athleticdepartment, I'm not optimistic.