City Council Passes Measure to Aid Tenants

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Tenants complaining about rent increases once again took center stage at Monday night's city council meeting.

During the meeting's two hour public comment session, councillors heard from dozens of Cantabrigians who described the effects of significantly increased rents.

The council later passed a resolution that would urge local developers to take another look at proposed rate increases and endorsed a revised mission statement for City Manager Robert W. Healy.

The modified statement makes it Healy's first priority "to provide assistance to low-and moderate-income residents who lived in rent-controlled apartments and are now struggling to stay in Cambridge."

Councillors spoke of the need for the resolution and revised mission statement.

"I hope that we can help to find a winwin solution for both the tenants and the owner," said councillor Kenneth E. Reeves '72.

Many Cantabrigians in attendance described the need for the resolution and mission statement change.

Marie D'Aonst, who lives in a residential complex on 47 Inman St., said her building's new owner, Boston developer Bruce Percelay, had increased rents as much as 150 percent since becoming landlord.

"As a single, professional woman, I can no longer afford to live in Cambridge," she said.

Another building resident, Jennifer Berkshire, told the councillors that she has heard little from the building's new owner.

"We went to bed one night and then woke up a part of someone's investment," Berkshire said.

The council also heard from Wayne Lagaloff, a disabled resident of the same building.

Lagaloff said his rent increase "is going to pose a great difficulty on me, not only financially and physically."

Lagaloff, who receives Social Security benefits, said his dream of starting a new business could be dissolved by his rent increase.

Percelay was not available for comment.

Residents representing another tenant organization on Prospect Street also voiced similar concerns.