Prof. Had No Hand in Policy

Letters

To the editors:

In "Boston Latin Will Appeal Race Suit Ruling" (Dec. 4), The Crimson inaccurately suggested that I had a hand in crafting the Boston Latin admissions policy struck down by the Federal Court of Appeals. That is false.

Indeed, I argued vigorously to all concerned that the admissions practice was unconstitutional because it was so numbers-driven and mechanical that is impermissibly resembled a quota. I viewed the School Committee's policy as a politically driven compromise, intended to preserve racial diversity while clinging as possible to the use of a questionable standardized test that exacerbates unequal opportunity to learn in the Boston Public School system. The compromise was ill advised. So is the School Committee's decision to appeal to the Supreme court. Their policy was and is a loser. They should go back to the drawing board, and find another way to serve the compelling interest in classroom diversity. Without that diversity, students will graduate ill-prepared for the real world and Boston will continue failing to serve all of its children.