Many Rape Resources at Hand

Letters

To the editors:

In light of the recent alleged rape at Harvard, issues of rape and sexual assault have come to the forefront of campus discussion. While we welcome the support of the student groups that sponsored the "Open Letter" (advertisement, Feb. 19), the letter only highlights the lack of communication between the administration and students regarding resources for rape and sexual assault. Furthermore, a student following The Crimson's coverage of these issues over the past few weeks might wonder what resources the University does in fact have for survivors of rape and sexual assault. As peer educators, we see the need to provide a more concrete overview of such campus resources.

There are a number of 24-hour rape crisis counselors who are mental health professionals on-call through University Health Services (UHS) on weekdays and weekends. They can be reached through UHS and they aim to help survivors understand their options for care. All of these resources are completely optional because part of a survivor's healing process involves regaining control in her or his life. Should a survivor choose to have a rape kit performed to gather forensic evidence, or is in need of more medical attention than UHS can provide, a counselor can accompany them to the Beth Israel Rape Crisis Center. If a survivor receives care at Beth Israel, he or she still receives follow-up care through UHS.

The Center for Wellness and Health Communication provides resources and referrals (it is not a crisis intervention unit). Its many publications contain important information about rape and sexual assault. The Center for Wellness also provides various referrals for students. The Center for Wellness is not a medical resource and visits to the Center do not appear on one's medical record.

Various peer counseling groups also are available on campus. These groups include Response (495-9600) and Room 13 (495-4969). Peer groups are often good alternatives for students who feel more comfortable discussing these issues with fellow students who are trained in issues of rape and sexual assault, rape trauma syndrome and peer counseling. Like visits to the Center for Wellness, visits to peer groups do not appear on one's medical record.

There are also numerous efforts to educate students about rape and sexual assault and to raise awareness about these issues on campus. This year the University sponsored a mandatory orientation for all first years and their proctors, held during orientation week, at which HUPD, UHS and the peer education groups discussed their resources and distributed emergency phone numbers.

We hope that students will utilize these resources and that further publicity of campus services will ensue. Great strides will be made if we recognize and understand the University's current efforts, open better lines of communication with them, and work together to improve the visibility, accessibility and scope of current resources. KELSEY W. McNIFF '98   MATTHEW P. SILVERMAN '98   Feb. 18, 1998

The writers are co-directors of Peer Relations Date Rape Education.