Five Juniors Chosen As Truman Finalists

By Hoon-jung Kim, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Five juniors were selected on Feb. 11 as national finalists for the Truman Fellowship, a $30,000 award to fund graduate study for students who intend to pursue careers in public service.

The finalists, Supinda Bunyavanich '99, Mark P. Diaz '99, Phillip A. Goff '99, Navin Narayan '99, and Michael K. Titelbaum '99, will be interviewed in late March as part of the final round of the selection process.

Roughly 200 finalists are selected nationally. Approximately one person per state is named a Truman Scholar.

The Truman scholarship was established in 1975 as the official federal memorial to honor President Harry S. Truman and his commitment to public service and education.

Recipients of the scholarship will be notified by the end of March.

"It's one of the few opportunities for people who are interested in pursuing public service careers to be recognized," Diaz said. "I'm honored to be a part of such a select group of individuals who are motivated by public service."

Criteria for selection as a Truman Scholar include outstanding leadership potential, quality of public/community service and government involvement, excellence in academics, and the demonstration of writing and analytic skills.

Applicants must submit a transcript, four recommendation letters, and an analysis of a public policy issue.

Three of the finalists, Bunyavanich, Diaz, and Goff, are all members of the same blocking group in Quincy House.

"I think it's been amazing; we've been able to support each other throughout the process," Bunyavanich said of the coincidence.

"Quincy House has been supportive in all of our efforts; the tutors have been wonderful," Bunyavanich added.

Narayan lives in Adams House, and Titelbaum is a Pforzheimer House resident.

Bunyavanich, an Environmental Sci- ence and Public Policy concentrator, is thecampus director for Project H.E.A.L.T.H.

"I'm thinking of doing field work onenvironmental science issues that have an impacton public health," Bunyavanich said.

Diaz, a Government concentrator, holdsleadership positions in Harvard Model Congress andHarvard Model Congress Europe, writes for theInstitute of Politics' Political Review,and works for United Way community programs.

Goff is an Afro-American Studies concentrator,serves as the President of Kuumba, and is thefounder and chair of the first annual Black ArtsFestival.

Goff is also the co-founder of the RadcliffeWomen's Action Coalition, a group which organizesround-table discussion groups focusing on feministaction.

"I want to teach people to understand the waysin which they construct their own moralities,"Goff said.

"I plan to become a professor, write a fewbooks, change some minds," Goff added.

Narayan serves as the vice chair of a Red Crossnational committee, the vice president of theHarvard-Radcliffe Cancer Society, and as an editorfor the Harvard International Review.

Narayan, a Social Studies concentrator, says heplans to attend medical school and also pursue amasters degree in public health.

"I'm interested in studying the health ofcommunities and individuals," Narayan said. "Oftenadverse health in marginal communities is due to alack of respect for human rights."

Titelbaum is a Philosophy concentrator and thePresident of Perspective,Harvard-Radcliffe's liberal monthly.

Titelbaum has taught for Partners forEmpowering Neighborhoods, a Phillips Brooks HouseAssociation community service program which helpsadults acquire GED degrees.

Titelbaum says he plans to teach at thesecondary school level upon attaining a mastersdegree in education.

"[Applying for the Truman is] an interestingprocess," Titelbaum said. "It causes you to focuson your goals after graduation.