Barry Attacks D.C. `Takeover'

Mayor calls congressional control `apartheid'

By M. DOUGLAS Omalley, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In an address to about 125 law students and undergraduates at Harvard Law School on Friday, Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry Jr. inveighed against the "undemocratic" takeover of Washington government.

Saying that his city stands "naked before Congress," Barry accused the federal government of infringing upon the freedoms of Washington residents by failing to include local representatives on the Congressional Control Board that monitors the city's finances.

Barry said Congress' actions in Washington amount to "political apartheid" since two-thirds of the city's residents are black.

Calling the Congressional Control Board the "patrol board," Barry criticized the fact that money appropriated for Washington has definite restrictions, while foreign aid money does not.

"I'm talking to you about democracy," Barry said. "Things are a mess [in Washington]. [The federal government] had the audacity to get rid of the elected school board."

Barry said the law students in the audience have a "responsibility to help [Washington] out" by calling or writing their state senators.

"Freedom denied anywhere is freedom denied everywhere," he said. "Unless you assist us, this environment could spread from here. We need you; we need you to be vigilant."

In the question-and-answer period, Barry said the biggest issue facing Washington is improving its educational system.

He said standards need to be set for teachers and parents should be involved in their children's education. He added that he tries to visit his children's teachers almost every week.

Barry also said Washington needs to diversify its public school curriculum by teaching black history.

"When I was growing up in Memphis, everything was segregated: lunchrooms, bathrooms, stores," he said. "All of our leadership was white. I had no idea that a black man could be a legislator or a mayor or anything."

Barry also faulted the media for focusing on the personal lives of politicians.

"The media in this country has gone crazy," he said. "They can say anything they please...As long as your personal life is not affecting your performance on the job, it should remain personal."

In response to a question about his conviction for cocaine possession in 1990, Barry called himself "a very credible spokesperson for the anti-crime and anti-drug movement."

"It has been eight years since I've overcome my personal problems," he said. My presence in office doesn't motivate people to go out and commit crime."