Radcliffe Parking Disputed

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A decision by Harvard Parking Services to begin ticketing cars without permits parked outside of the Radcliffe Ceramic Studio has angered studio users.

According to Nancy C. Selvage, supervisor of the Radcliffe College ceramics program, parking officials have allowed cars without permits to park in the lot in the evenings and on weekends for the last 10 years.

In early February, that policy changed, forcing evening class members, who include Harvard employees and students along with members of the public, to park on the adjoining street.

Nancy Curtis '58, who has been taking classes at the studio for close to 10 years, said she first realized the change when she received a ticket in February.

"The whole class got tickets that day," she said. "Now we have to park on the street or else pay an exorbitant fee, which I certainly can't afford."

Year-long permits for the lot, located on Western Avenue, usually cost $350. Selvage said this fee is too high for those who use the studio for only a few hours a week.

Selvage said the issue is also one of safety for evening class members, many of whom are women.

"In the evening, it's safer to park in the lot, rather then walk the long and dark walk from the street," she said.

Curtis said she is concerned for her safety when she parks on the street.

"As an older woman, I watch out where I go. The studio is very far away from the street. If something were to happen, no one would be around," she said.

Studio users note that, while the lot is full during the day, it is frequently empty at night and on the weekends.

"Students are not competing with Harvard staff or visitors on evenings or weekends," said Donna M. Dickerson, publicity production coordinator for the Peabody Museum and a member of an evening ceramics class.

"I don't know why it shouldn't be available for students who pay to take a coursefrom Harvard," she said.

Selvage said the studio is currentlynegotiating with Harvard Parking Services to workout a compromise. One proposal under considerationwould allow studio members to purchase a block ofspaces to share during the course of the year.

Studio users said they would be willing to paysome fee for evening use of the lot.

"I would be happy to pay a surcharge providedit wasn't too high," Curtis said.

Officials from Harvard Parking Services wereunavailable for comment yesterday