THE ECONOMICS OF LOVE

The editors take aim at the good, the bad and the ugly.

By Rosalind S. Helderman

We at Dartboard never realized supply-side economics could be so titillating. Apparently, we're mistaken. Two amorous students were spotted studying stocks and "bonds" in depth, so to speak, in Ec 10 lecture Wednesday. Maybe the two found each other's gaze so stirring that they forgot they were in the back row of a lecture hall and not a dark movie theater.

When he casually draped his arm over her, other students began to take notice. But when he progressed to neck-nibbling and kissing, a faint giggle arose from the balcony. We've heard of public displays of affection. We've even witnessed some pretty egregious cases. But we've never seen anyone getting it on in clear view of over 800 people and a world-renowned professor.

Besides the inherent embarrassment of providing entertainment for bored fellow students following the action play-by-play from the sidelines, this kind of behavior provides just too much gossip for the rumor mill that is Annenberg. Even though Ec 10 has been ranked as one of the best places to meet people on campus, this might be a little excessive.

Now, we realize that academics are important to the average Harvard student. Missing class is certainly not to be condoned. However, if you have better things to do with your time, perhaps you should consider getting lecture notes from a friend for the day.

What does this say about love life at Harvard? Has romance been reduced to whispering sweet nothings while frantically trying to catch Marty's last cogent sentence? Maybe it's time for love-deprived Harvard students to get a room. Or at least a quiet spot in Widener.