A Static Debate: College Considers Cable in Common Spaces

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

Walk into Grays M-24, and you'll get a fuzzy CBS. In DeWolfe 20-25, however, the reception's perfect--and everyone's enjoying ESPN.

Transmission quality and channel selection on Harvard's campus ranges from cable access to tin-foil antennas, from more than 50 features to the big three--maybe. Other rooms choose not to watch the tube at all.

This week, the Yale College Council announced that every dormitory room will be hooked up with cable service at the start of the next year.

Thanks to an off-again, on-again debate between the Undergraduate Council and College administration, Harvard houses may get wired as early as next semester.

Man With A Plan

Philip A. Bean, manager of the Dean of the College's office, who has been conducting research for the Committee on House Life (COHL), says there is an "outside chance of limited cable access" by this fall.

According to Bean, the College would target House common areas--specifically junior common rooms--as the beneficiaries of an arrangement with the local cable provider, MediaOne.

The deal would be a marked change from the late '80s, when Bean says the College found cable offerings cost-prohibitive.

"It was a one-two-three punch," Bean says, noting that past plans stipulated that the College would have to pay $240,000 to instal internal wiring, guarantee a 50 percent subscription rate and coordinate billing.

While the Mather House common room and several tutors' suites have gained cable access, older Houses have had to maintain their historical integrity--which means no external alterations without University and city approval.

DeWolfe is the only undergraduate dormitory with cable access in individual suites. Currently, more than half of the Houses enjoy cable access in common spaces.

Bean says he has had limited contact with MediaOne and hopes to negotiate a lower cost should general installation come to Harvard.

"The way it's framed right now, it's not in anyone's interests but the cable company's," Bean says.

MediaOne representative Patrick Stewart says his company is open to exploring possible plans in cooperation with the University and can install wiresunderground if necessary to avoid marring Housefacades.

As for installation costs, Stewart says, "inmost cases, we'd probably split it [with theUniversity]."

We Want Our MTV

Bean says student demand has inspired hisefforts.

Last spring's undergraduate COHL members askedthe committee to reexamine the feasibility ofinstallation. And this year's Council leaders havecontinued to fight for access.

Eric M. Nelson '99, chair of the council'sStudent Affairs Committee, says the council isdiscussing conducting a poll to determine demandfor cable service.

"The ball is in our court now to show thatthere is significant student support for the cabletelevision option," says Nelson, who is also aCrimson editor.

"I have spoken to a lot of my constituents andstudents at large," Nelson says. "I got the sensethat this is definitely something that people werevery interested in."

Yet a study conducted by the University inDecember indicates that--among campuses thatprovide cable access--student subscriptions rarelybreak the 20 percent mark.

"[Other universities'] feedback from thestudents is that they have enough to do withoutwatching TV," the study says, citing data fromMIT, Brandeis, Tufts and Babson. Those that dopause to watch, according to the study, fearprocrastination since, "cable made it too easy[for TV] to be a distraction."

But for students who currently enjoySportscenter--ensconced in deluxe DeWolfeapartments--television is a way of life.

Primetime in DeWolfe

On Tuesday night at 9 p.m., the set is on inDeWolfe 20-25, where residents estimate they watchabout five hours of television each day.

ESPN, Howard Stern and several movie channelstop their list of viewing preferences.

They admit that as second-semester seniorstheir lightened schedules have plenty of room forquality time with the tube.

"It's a scary thought if everybody had cable,"says Andres Saenz '98.

In an informal Crimson poll, 68 percent ofsurveyed DeWolfe residents said they takeadvantage of the building's cable access. Of thosecable subscribers, about 47 percent had their setsturned on Tuesday night.

Some justify the cost--often reaching $60 amonth--by the social opportunities membershipaffords.

"It's nice to have people over so they canwatch things they can't get like `South Park,'"says Owen I. Breck '00. "A lot of the advantages Ihave now wouldn't exist if everyone had it."

"This is the hot spot," he quips. "Thereception's perfect."

However, one blocking group says cabletelevision did not lure them to DeWolfe--it wasthe underground parking.

Still, Louis C. Bevilacqua '98 says he and hisroommates watch cable often--"whenever I'm not atclass or playing sports."

Others cite this easy access as one of cable'sprimary flaws.

"I'd probably watch it too much," says RunaIslam '00. "And it's too expensive."

Breck also notes that the cable company'scharging system is complex. Students routinelyhave to choose among recorded package options onthe cable company's confusing automated line.Breck suggests that the University help solve theproblem by assuming the responsibility forbilling.

Since cost is a concern to many, Beth A.Stewart '00, council president, says she and hercolleagues "want to ensure it's not a system wherepeople who don't want cable have to pay for it."

"Our perspective is to just provide studentswith all the options," she says.

However, some DeWolfe residents questioncouncil members' concentration on gaining cableaccess.

"I think there are other things worth fightingfor," one male DeWolfe resident says.

Since television viewing can be a socialactivity, some students say wiring house commonrooms is the ideal solution. One DeWolfe residentsays she watched the women's NCAA tournament inthe Mather House TV room.

The hike to the TV room lessens the likelihoodthat students will be distracted by cable. It alsohas the added advantage of being paid for by Housefees rather than directly out of students'pockets.

Students say common room TV viewing bringsmembers of randomized House communities together.The Lowell JCR hosted about 200 students on thenight of the women's basketball tournament, andthe Quincy JCR fills for each new episode of `ER.'A-8CABLESeth H. PerimanAnna M. Schneider-MayersonRachel E. Kramer

We Want Our MTV

Primetime in DeWolfe