Shalala Assesses Federal Reform

Protestors attack Shalala's inaction on needle exchange

By Jenny E. Heller, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The visit of Secretary of Health and Human Services Donna E. Shalala to Harvard prompted protests and a sharp round of questioning at her press conference and speech yesterday.

The protesters and students questioned Shalala's commitment to free IV needle exchange to halt the spread of AIDS through drug use.

Needle exchange programs distribute clean needles to drug users to prevent addicts from passing AIDS through contaminated needles. National statistics, with which both Shalala and protesters agreed, show that every day 33 men, women and children get AIDS through the use of dirty needles.

"End the silence and start a little bit ofaction," said Larry Kessler, executive director ofthe AIDS Action Committee, which protested outsidethe John F. Kennedy School of Government beforeShalala's speech in the ARCO Forum. "She hasstudied it to death for six years. She hasn't madeany change in her policy."

"She needs to put some federal money into it,"Kessler said.

Members of the AIDS Action Committee stood in arow, holding up signs reading "Shalala: Lift theBan" and "Clean Needles, Stop AIDS."

While Shalala said she agrees that the use ofclean needles does reduce the spread AIDS, sheadded that she is constrained by tests thatCongress requires the new policy to pass beforeshe can pronounce needle exchanges safe.

"You're absolutely right that AIDS is now beingdriven by intravenous drug users," Shalala said."I believe that the research does indicate thatthe needle exchange does clearly reduce theincidence of AIDS."

"Congress gave me a second test, that thoseprograms do not encourage drug use," she added.

She said she has ordered new research to beconducted to test this possibility and is waitingfor the outcome of the studies.

"When we make our decision we will be on thefirmest possible ground to make it," Shalalaadded.

Kessler said these studies have already proventhe success of needle exchange and Shalala needsto endorse them.

"Either she can't read or she doesn't want toread," Kessler said. "Needle exchange programsaren't new. They worked in the '80s; they worknow."

"All studies are impressive, and she has stillignored them," he added.

Kessler attributed Shalala's hesitance to aninability to take a stand on a politically chargedissue. He called both President Clinton andShalala "cowardly" for not asserting theimportance of needle exchanges.

Protesters from the AIDS Action Committee alsoassembled yesterday morning outside the U.S.S.Constitution, in Boston Harbor, where SurgeonGeneral David Satcher spoke.

Kessler said there will be more protests bydifferent groups from around the country thisweek.

He added that the Presidential Advisory Councilon AIDS may call for Shalala's resignationtomorrow.

Two weeks ago the council unanimously expressedno confidence in the administration's ability tostruggle against AIDS.

In the past weeks, other groups have alsoprotested Shalala's indecision on the issue ofneedle exchange and asked for her to step down