Smoking Ban Possible in Harvard Houses

Proposal stalls at meeting of Committee on House Life

By Scott A. Resnick, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A proposal to extend a ban on smoking in all Harvard Houses met significant resistance in yesterday's meeting of the Committee on House Life (COHL).

Though committee members came to an early consensus over the dangers of secondhand smoke, they were hesitant to support the proposal, which was presented for discussion by Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

According to Lewis, similar proposals to forbid smoking within the Houses has been raised twice in the past. He cited health concerns--for smokers, potential smokers and their roommates--as the impetus behind the potential ban.

"We have good reason to believe that there's a lot of sentiment that would favor a complete prohibition [of smoking] among students," Lewis said. "The general trend of society would support doing this."

Lewis asserted that a smoking ban might encourage some smokers to quit and possibly prevent non-smokers from lighting up for the first time.

He acknowledged, however, that diverse House architectures would make it difficult to implement the proposal and said there is a need to be sensitive to libertarian sentiments on campus.

Outgoing Lowell House Master William H. Bossert '59 said he would be opposed to such a ban, largely due to the difficulty in enforcing the policy.

Bossert also said the plan's results might tarnish the House's appearance.

"I don't like the image of lots of people standing outside of the House, smoking," he said.

Co-Master of Eliot House Kristine L. Forsgard said her position as deputy director of academic programs at the School of Public Health meant that she shared Lewis' concerns about the dangers of smoking. But she hesitated to support a total ban, though she said Eliot House already forbids smoking in common rooms.

"I prefer that people make their own decisions," Forsgard said.

Eric C. Nelson '99, chair of the Undergraduate Council's Student Advisory Committee, echoed Forsgard's comments.

"This is college and students are on the way to becoming adults and it's important that they be able to make these sort of choices," he said.

But Lewis said frequent student calls for the College to purchase more exercise equipment in order to encourage healthy lifestyles speaks for the College's participation in this case.

"I think the College does have a logical role in encouraging healthy habits," Lewis said.

Lewis said the issue will be further discussed in today's meeting of all the House masters.

The COHL also heard discussion on the topic of interhouse transfers for students who havetransferred to Harvard from other colleges.

Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of theCollege for human resources and the House system,discussed the possibility of allowingintercollegiate transfer students to transfer outof their assigned Houses after only one semesterin the House.

Dingman said undergraduates are presentlyrequired to spend two semesters in their assignedHouse before being eligible to transfer.

Council President Beth A. Stewart '00 praisedthe plan. "I think [the plan] could really improvethe happiness of a group of students that oftenfeel very neglected by the College," Stewart said.

Members indicated that they will continue tolook into the issue.

Committee members also discussed an expansionof House Web pages. In addition, the COHL heardreports on the status of bringing cable TV to theHouses, and the need for a review of the StudentHandbook