Softball Splits Two With Holy Cross

By Eduardo Perez-giz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Inconsistency continues to plague the Harvard softball team. Harvard (14-17) split a double header at Holy Cross (13-10-1) yesterday, taking the first game 6-1 but getting shut out in the nightcap, 2-0, despite racking up eight hits. HARVARD  6 HOLY CROSS  1 HARVARD  0 HOLY CROSS  2

The Crimson's inability to score runs on a consistent basis has been its Achilles heel all season long. Harvard has scored better than five runs 10 times in 1998, but it has also failed to score one on nine separate occasions.

"We're all frustrated," co-captain Jenny Franzese said. "We're hitting well, but it's just a matter of getting the clutch hits when we need them."

Harvard's day started off nicely as the Crimson scored three quick runs in the first inning of game one. Sophomore Ghia Godfree's double into center plated sophomore Deborah Abeles and senior Hillary Read with what would prove to be enough for the win.

Meanwhile, freshman Chelsea Thoke (6-9) was on the mound having her best outing of the season. Thoke scattered five hits over seven innings and walked just two while striking out a season-high 10 batters.

"Today was a very good game for Chelsea," Abeles said. "She just got stronger as the game went on."

Harvard added some insurance in the later innings, scoring twice in the fifth and once more in the seventh.

Abeles, who was named Ivy League Player of the Week on Monday, led the offense with a 2-for-4 performance, one RBI and two runs scored.

Franzese and sophomore Mairead McKendry also turned in solid efforts at the plate. Both went 2-for-3 in the game; McKendry drove in one run and Franzese scored twice.

In game two the Harvard bats did not go cold, but they did not heat up at the right times. The Crimson stranded all eight of its baserunners and squandered several scoring opportunities.

"We hit a lot of balls hard but right at people," Abeles said.

"[Holy Cross's] pitching wasn't overpowering," Franzese added, "but they did what they had to do. They pushed two runs across, and we didn't."

The Crusaders scored once in the third and once in the fourth, spoiling a strong performance by Harvard senior pitcher Heather Brown. Celebrating her 22nd birthday, Brown gave up just four hits in four innings of work.

Offensively, Harvard received hits from six different players--including 2-for-3 performances by Godfree and Abeles. The Crimson, though, was unable to bring anyone around.

"We're not satisfied [with the split]," Franzese said. "We had the ability to win both games, and we played well."

Harvard can take some satisfaction from its pitching. Both Thoke and Brown pitched very well and chose the right time to do so--the Crimson kicks off its Ivy League season this weekend.

"We've got a great pitching staff," Franzese said. "We've got depth, and that's one of our biggest assets. Our pitchers keep other teams guessing."

If Harvard's pitching has been a bright spot, Abeles has been the sunshine. Last season's Ivy League Rookie of the Year has already tied the Harvard single-season home run record (6) and is one round tripper shy of the all-time mark.

Her 64 career RBI place her seven away from the school's all-time record in that category as well. She currently leads Harvard with a .418 batting average.

"I feel confident at the plate," Abeles said. "I'm seeing the ball really well, and I'm just trying to hit it hard."

Harvard opens its Ivy season at home on Friday afternoon with a doubleheader against Yale, followed by two more versus Brown on Saturday. The Crimson knows that regardless of what has happened thus far in the season, the next four games are the beginning of Harvard's quest for its first ever Ivy crown.

"You'd like to go into Ivies really dominating the teams you've faced beforehand," Abeles said, "but we're feeling good. These are the games that count."