Against Affirmative Action

Letters

To the editors:

The recent publicity on affirmative action has really upset me. Not only is this a racist solution, but it is a detriment to those it "helps" and society as a whole. Affirmative action wants to correct past racism, sexism and other "isms" with new ones. Where does this end? Do we suppress white males until they need an affirmative action of their own? This type of correction sets one group back so the others can flourish, hurting everyone in the process.

If the original oppressors were still around, maybe this would be a good solution, to punish those who are at fault. However, this is not the case. This problem is a multi-generational one. Also, selecting people according to race, sex or any other innate quality is ridiculous. Ability in the field should be the determining factor, never uncontrollable primordial ties.

There is a problem, but affirmative action is not the solution. Take the analogy of growing plants. If one is put in good soil and given water and sunlight, it will grow tall and flower. Put that same plant in bad soil, neglect it of water or leave it in the shade, and the plant will not grow properly. If, seeing this malnourished plant, you pull on it to make it taller, could you then say it is a good flower? No. The solution is to give the flower what it needs from the start. Early education programs, Head Start, food, clothes, etc., allow the plant to grow tall and flower on its own, without any tugging. Affirmative action is a superficial solution (if it can be called that) to a much deeper problem. Solve the problem, and the plant will grow. SCOT D. HOPPS '01   April 2, 1998