Class of 1948 Discusses Issues Of 20th Century

By Nancy M. Poon, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Harvard reunions are not just fun but also educational. Yesterday afternoon, members of the 50th reunion class assembled in Science Center B for an annual reunion week discussion.

The Class of 1948 Symposium focused on the issues of the 20th Century.

Moderated by George A. Plimpton '48, the panel featured three Harvard professors: Lamont University Professor emeritus John T. Dunlop, a labor expert and former cabinet member; Warburg Professor of Economics emeritus John Kenneth Galbraith, a former ambassador and advisor to the Roosevelt Administration; and Arthur M. Schlesinger '38, an American historian and former presidential advisor.

Each spoke briefly and spent the bulk of his time fielding questions from the audience.

They discussed issues such as race relations, space exploration, women's right, today's economy and the deterioration of public schools.

"The panelists were extremely interactive. They were clever, witty and direct. It was very refreshing," said Anthony Lewis '48.

"This symposium reminds us of all that we learned at Harvard and that we are still learning," Plimpton said.