Dissident Takes Summer English Classes

By Gregory S. Krauss, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Nine years after leading fellow students against tanks in Tiananmen Square, Chinese dissident Wang Dan has returned to school--this time as a student in Harvard Summer School's English Language Program (ELP).

Wang is studying English in preparation for the fall semester when he plans to take classes in Chinese history.

"I like the course, but it is difficult for me", Wan says in an e-mail message with translation help from Nancy R. Hearst, librarian of the John K. Fairbank Center for East Asian Research. "I have not been a student for nine years."

This spring, Wang was released from a Chinese prison, where he spent seven years in captivity. Wang made his first major public appearance at Harvard at a John F. Kennedy School of Government address in early May.

The ELP teaches English from level A through E, with A being the introductory class. Wang is in level C.

"Even though I have read a lot, I need do improve my listening and speaking," he says.

Wang says he chose to study at Harvard because he likes he "academic environment."

"I think I will be able to learn a lot about the outside world, and about China while I am here," he says.

About a dozen members of the national press have requested an interview with Wang since his arrival at Harvard, says Director of Public Affairs Alex Huppe.

It is the university's job to maintain the privacy of all its students, Huppe says. Of course, students can agree to interviews if they want, he adds.

Wang--who arrived shortly before President Clinton's historic China trip--turned down most of them. Huppe says.

"I am willing to talk to the press, but I am very busy now with my studies," Wang says.

After the first few weeks of study, Wang sees differences between American college and Chinese ones.

"In the U.S. there are more choices in terms of picking your courses and the style of studying is much more open and free. So I like it very much," he says.

But Wang says both educational systems share common elements.

"There are many similarities between Harvard and Peking University. For example, the atmosphere at the school," he says.

In May, Wang said his study here is part of his larger goal of changing China.

"The reason I'm interested in studying hard right now is to be better able to participate in future democracy movements" he said at the time.

Dean of Continuing Education Christopher Queen says he is happy to have Wang as student here.

"We're very proud to have him at Harvard Summer School," Queen says "Harvard appreciates the opportunity of meeting world leaders."

Wang says he is also glad to be here.

"I am enjoying the life of a student at Harvard very much," he says.

In his speech in May, one audience member with a question introduced himself as an ordinary student. Wang interjected: "I hope people will see me as an ordinary student, too."