The Life of Nelson Mandela

July 18, 1918

Nelson Mandela is born at Qunu, near Umtata. After his father dies, Mandela is groomed for the chieftainship of Thembuland.

July 181944

Mandela helps form the ANC Youth League. In 1949, the ANC adopts the Youth League's Programme of Action.

1952

Mandela opens the first black law firm in South Africa with fellow ANC member Oliver Tambo, who later becomes national chairperson of the ANC.

1952

Mandela is elected volunteer-in-chief of the national Defiance Campaign, a resistance movement to fight discrimination. Arrested for his participation, Mandela is given a suspended sentence and later confined to Johannesburg.

1962

Mandela trains in Algeria. After returning he is jailed for illegally leaving the country, among other charges. He is convicted of sabotage and sentenced to life in prison.

1960

After the Sharpeville massacre, Mandela is detained until 1961. Going underground, he later launches the ANC's military wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe, which some have termed a terrorist organization.

Feb. 11, 1990

ANC elects Mandela president of the group during its first national conference after decades of government bans.

1991

After refusing several conditional offers of early release, Mandela leaves prison.

1993

10 May 1994: Mandela is inaugurated as president of South Africa.

May 10, 1994

Mandela accepts Nobel Peace Prize.