Hasty Pudding Chooses Political Spoof for 151st Show

A tale of political intrigue with the puns, men in drag

By M. DOUGLAS Omalley, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

With the promise of no cigar jokes, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals touted the script of their 151st show, "I Get No Kick From Campaign" as a political spoof.

Pudding executives chose the script, written by Greg G. Lau '99 and Benjamin R. Kaplan '99, who is an inactive Crimson editor, from three other scripts. Its title is a take-off on the Cole Porter classic, "I Get No Kick From Champaign."

Carolyn A. Cassidy '99, a co-producer of the show, described it as a political tale focusing on an election battle between a corrupt political machine boss and a moral underdog.

Among the characters are Stella-Virgin and Donatello-My-Wife, but Pudding staff said the authors began writing the script long before President Clinton's sex life was a national focus.

"They did a great job with the pun runs," Cassidy said.

The selection process, which started last May and culminated last week, was arduous, Pudding executives said.

"It wasn't a easy decision....We stayed up a couple of nights until 2 a.m," said Jerald M. Korn '99, the other co-producer of the show.

The show will open on Thursday, February 18, 1999, coinciding with the presentation of the annual Hasty Pudding Man of the Year Award.

The show will run for five weeks with prices ranging from $25 to $27. However, student-rush tickets will run for $7.

Last year's 150th anniversary show was a cause for much celebration on Holyoke Street, but the show's producers said they won't be outdone.

"Making the show live up to the 150th is achallenge, but it's a challenge we're ready tolive up to," Korn said.

Producers also stressed that the show won't belessened by the scandal surrounding Whitewaterspecial prosecutor Kenneth W. Starr and Clinton.

"We have given our share of bathroom jokes, butthe main stay of the Pudding is great numbers andgreat lyrics," Cassidy said.

And, there will be, of course, men in drag.

"Men dressing in women's clothing isn't asscandalous as it used to be. But our audiencesstill get a kick out of it because it's stillfunny," said Pudding President Dan Ring '99.

The Pudding historically draws about 15,000people to its shows in Cambridge, New York andBermuda.

However, Ring said he hopes more Harvardstudents come to see the annual theatricalspectacle.

"It's always bothered me that students don'tcome see our shows," he said