Mandela Earns Praise for Insight, Humility

MANDELA AT HARVARD: AN HISTORIC VISIT

By Jacqueline A. Newmyer, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

The slow wave and the wide smile. The forceful call to arms against global wealth disparities. The humble acceptance of his own award on behalf of his entire country.

South African President Nelson R. Mandela entranced an audience of about 25,000 distinguished guests, students, faculty, staff and community members assembled on Friday afternoon at Harvard's Tercentenary Theatre.

The University bestowed an honorary law degree upon Mandela, and the South African leader honored Harvard both with his presence and with his words in accepting the tribute.

Professors and students in the crowd said they felt part of a historic moment.

DuBois Professor of the Humanities Henry Louis "Skip" Gates Jr., who delivered introductory remarks before Mandela's address, told The Crimson that Friday was "one of the greatest days in [his] life--without a doubt."

Referring to the tremendous turnout and the excitement surrounding the ceremony, Gates added, "This is why I teach here."

In his 30-minute speech, Mandela demonstrated his understanding of the economic problems facing the African continent and his concern for its impoverished people.

Mixing humor with gravitas, Mandela won loud applause for his deferential tone, insisting that he was accepting the honorary degree not for himself but for his entire nation.

Professor of Afro-American Studies and of Philosophy K. Anthony Appiah, noted the uplift and challenge combined in the president's words.

"He was serious," Appiah said. "Not many politicians in the world are saying those things and have his authority."

James T.L. Grimmelmann '99 said he viewed Mandela's speech as a call to the academic world to assist Africa.

"It was not so much a call upon Harvard to do something as an expression of what the role of a community of scholars is in the world," Grimmelmann said. "It is an indication of what we should be doing at Harvard."

Appiah commended Mandela for emphasizing Africa's potential for growth and the need to combat widening wealth disparities worldwide.

"The fact is that so-called Afro-pessimism isn't grounded in solid research," Appiah said.

Jeffrey D. Sachs '76, director of the John F. Kennedy School of Government's new Center for International Development, also noted the role the University can play in improving conditions in Africa.

"He really did give us a challenge for the work ahead at the Center," Sachs said.

"Not only does he raise the vision of people all over the world, but he is also very clear about what needs to be done," Sachs added.

But President of the Black Students Association Dionne A. Fraser '99 said Harvard over-emphasized its commitment to South Africa and African studies.

"Harvard did a disservice to Mandela by making it sound like Harvard cared about Africa all along," she said.

"It didn't add up that we would have Harvard professors on stage with him who have done very little to help his con- tinent," Fraser said.

Despite such criticisms of the University,Mandela displayed appreciation for theanti-apartheid activism that dominated Harvard'scampus in the 1980s.

Dr. S. Allen Counter of the Harvard Foundationsaid that for 28 years he watched students protestapartheid.

"It was in honor of all those students that[Mandela] made that impromptu gesture of shakinghands," Counter said, referring to Mandela'sdecision to shake the hand of every student singerwho performed at the ceremony.

David L. Evans, a senior admissions officer forthe College, said he remembered a time when fewbelieved that Mandela would live through hisimprisonment on Robben Island.

"This was a miracle," Evans said after Friday'sevent.

Mandela's personal warmth permeated theceremony, inspiring some audience members with asense of pride in Harvard.

Donham Professor of Business AdministrationLinda A. Hill, who recently became a member of theUniversity's honorary degree committee, said shefelt more affinity for the school than ever beforeon Friday afternoon.

"Honoring an African made my heart startbeating very, very quickly," Hill said.

"I can't think of a moment when I've felt moreexcited in my 15 years here," she added.

Grimmelmann said simply listening to Mandela'svoice was exhilarating.

"I was struck by the quality of his voice,"Grimmelmann said. "It's very distinctive. The wayhe puts his words together is beautiful."

Eaton Professor of the Science of GovernmentRobert H. Bates, who is also affiliated with theHarvard Institute for International Development,expressed his admiration for Mandela's distinctivemanner.

"It's an odd kind of charisma," Bates said,"not the kind of charisma that fills the room, buta quiet charisma."

Jennifer D. Rogers '01 praised his presence onstage and his ability to hold the attention of anaudience.

"He's an incredible person," she said. "He'snot uptight. Everyone has so much respect forhim."

Friday's event even spotlighted Mandela's wit.

"I didn't know he could tell a joke in themanner of Mark Twain," Bates said